4

{Chapter 4 - Bars, Witches, And Gifts}

After arriving in New Orleans a day earlier than usual, I wandered the streets until I came to the place I knew he would be. I had once made a promise to Nik, telling him I would never be too far away, and I would always be by his side. After I faked my death, I kept that promise, staying close, following behind him even though he didn't know I was there. That led me to be in New Orleans at the same time he was, cleaning up the mess Mikael had made and saving the people the Mikaelson's had thought dead.

"Rousseau's." The words left my lips as the sign caught my eye, before I walked under it, entering the bar. My nose searched for his scent, placing it and quickly making my way towards him. The vampire that made himself a king, with my help, of course.

"Emily Rose, what a surprise!" The witches running the bar, along with the vampires that practically lived in it, stopped to see the person being called that name. Much like the Mikaelson's, I had made quite a name for myself once upon a time. Emily Rose was the name I had gone by since around the 1500s, as Emmaline Rosewood became too long and old fashioned. Again, much like the Mikaelson's, more commonly known as the Originals, no one ever truly knew if Emily Rose was a real person, or just a myth. Few who ever met her lived to tell the tale, and those who lived never told. Wherever Mrs. Rose was said to have gone, death had followed close behind.

"Like you didn't know I was coming." We gave each other a quick hug, Marcel not being one to show public affection to the girl that no one ever knew if he was in a relationship with or not. Long talks and looks were the way we showed our friendship, although I could barely call it that as I'm not sure what it was at this point. My eyes wandered over to a group of witches watching me, along with a curious little blonde bartender. They had all looked away though, like I couldn't feel their stares.

"You did get here early this year. Usually you show up to the party, spend a day or two, and then leave." I nodded at that, unsure of how to continue the conversation, as I myself didn't even know why I had gotten here early. "Well, since your here, wanna help a friend out with something?" I had ordered a bourbon, while gesturing for him to continue. "We should take a walk, catch up a little bit." He discreetly gestured towards the large group of people, including witches, listening in.

"Sure, lemme finish and we can be on our way." He nodded at me, patiently waiting for me to finish the drink I had ordered, before we walked out and sped off to find a place where there were no prying ears. "So.." I trailed off, letting him explain what he needed.

"There's this thing called the Harvest that the witches are trying to do. Something to do with getting their ancestral magic or whatever, I don't know." I nodded for him to get back on track. "Anyway, to get the magic from their ancestors they need to sacrifice four people, witches. And normally that's be okay but..." He looked away, pain clear in his eyes.

"What?" He looked back to me.

"They're just kids, Em. Teens, all of them 16, 17 at the most. It's not right." His voice wavered slightly, all of those girls were going to be killed for others gain.

"Where and when?" My mind was already made up.

"It's happening at the witches graveyard, right around now." I looked him in the eyes, ready to run.

"What are we waiting for then? Let's go crash the party." We took off into the night to go save the girls, not knowing what we were starting. We ended up getting there just in time to save the last girl, her name was Davina.

After introductions and making sure she was alright, we took her to a church where none of the witches would look for her, ensuring her safety. She grabbed my hand. "Thank you, for everything. I don't know what I would've done without you two."