12

{Chapter 12 - Cuddles And More Cuddles}

 I woke up to arms wrapped around me and snuggled into the warmth. I listened to the pounding of the heart that I had once broken and realized he was awake. "Morning, love." I shivered, feeling the blanket get pulled off of me, and tried to push myself even closer into Nik than I already was. I heard the vibration of his chuckle rise from his chest and enter my ears, finally realizing how close we were I tried to get up only to be pulled back down. His arms wrapped tighter around me and held me down against him, making me want to stay like this forever.

 "Come on, we have werewolves to catch." I smiled as I got up, pulling him up with me. We changed and got Stefan up before heading out to get something to eat before setting out on another long ride.

  After a week of searching we were getting no where, the only place we knew had werewolves was Mystic Falls and none of us wanted to go back there. We were currently trying to get info out of a witch that used to run with wolves. Witches usually helped you if you helped them, the only bad thing was this one seemed to have picked up pack loyalty. While I am usually very admiring when it comes to loyalty, however in this case hers was getting in the way of mine.

  "Come on, Wendy. Just tell us where a pack is and we'll leave you alone." She shook her head at my words. "They don't even have to be your pack! We just want some wolves, any should do."

  "Now why in the hell would I tell you of all people?" I groaned knowing if she didn't say anything soon someone was going to have to torture her until she spoke, and I didn't want that to happen for multiple reasons. "And since when do you ask for things, I thought you were the all powerful Emily Rose, the freak of nature that everyone knows and ha-" She was cut off by a hand decapitating her. I looked at Nik in complete shock and surprise.

  "Well what'd you do that for!? She was our only lead to werewolves!" I slumped my shoulders, not sure what to feel about the situation. Nik just shrugged his shoulders as Stefan groaned, realizing that he was going to have to work even harder trying to find wolves now that our main lead was currently bleeding all over her shop.

  "We'll find a new lead." Nik said simply before walking out and calling us to follow him. Me and Stefan just looked at each other, silently communicating our annoyance through facial expressions.

 Me and Stefan had grown closer since we left Mystic Falls. Since Nik was currently his greatest enemy, I was the only person he actually talked to, unless he was being a sarcastic pain. Although I had to admit, Nik making him kill all the time and drink a crap ton of blood to make sure he wouldn't try to run was starting to get on my nerves.

  We had went back to the hotel we had gotten for the next couple of days, as I had begged Nik to let us stay in New York for a little while longer than usual. I wanted to get some clothes and such while I was here as I was tired of wearing the same things all of the time. We were currently just sitting around talking about useless things, while Nik was listening and thinking about God knows what. 

  "So, just out of curiosity.. How did you two meet?" Stefan asked after a stand still in out conversation. I saw Nik perk up slightly at the question, probably wondering how I was going to tell it.

  I laughed a bit. "It was a very, very long time ago. I can't even remember the exact year at this point. I remember I had went to a ball to get the Lord of the areas attention, it was rumored that he was looking for a wife and honestly at the time I was a little bored. He had ordered all of the women in the towns close by go to this ball and in this day and age who was I, a young female, to refuse. I went and ended up seeing an old friend who had become friends with Elijah, and he introduced me to the family." I laughed remembering how much me and Nik resented each other.

  "Yes, Ezra." Nik spoke up. "I remember he introduced us to a young woman who seemed to catch everyone's attention," I cut him off while he was thinking.

 "Except you, of course. No the only thing that interested you was your glass of wine." He laughed and agreed.

  "Wait, so you two didn't even notice each other until you met through a friend of his brother?" Stefan asked, confused for some odd reason.

  "No, we noticed each other, we just didn't care." Nik responded as I took a sip of the blood laced bourbon I had in my glass.

  "You two didn't like each other, did you?" Me and Nik both shook our head.

  "We hated each other." Stefan snorted. "I hated the fact that he had three women on his each arm and didn't even acknowledge their existence, and he-" Nik cut me off.

  "I hated the fact that she looked like the women that were on my arm, annoying little attention seekers who always had to be in the spot light. Little did I know I was dead wrong, cost me an arm by the way." He said, referring to when I broke his arm because he called me an attention whore.

 Stefan just chuckled and muttered "You two are weird." under his breath, knowing we would hear him either way. He walked into the room we had given him this time, so that he wouldn't have to sleep on the couch.

 Me and Nik decided it was time to go to sleep as well, since we had nothing else to do tonight. 

 I woke up to Nik moving around in the bed, I assumed correctly when I thought he was getting off the bed. I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't when I realized how cold it was without his arms around me. I got up after a while and walked out to see him standing on the balcony, leaning over the railing just watching the city at night.

 I slowly walked up behind him and layed my hands on his shoulders, massaging my way down his back, smiling a little when his back immediately relaxed under my touch. I heard him sigh as I watched his stand up straight, still facing the edge of the balcony. "Are you planning on coming back to bed?" I  asked him, very tired and needy at the moment.

 "Eventually." I frowned, there was something on his mind and it was bothering him.

 "What's wrong?" He didn't answer. "Nik?" I asked, I had stopped rubbing his back and just wrapped my arms around his waist, leaning my arms on his hips. "Are you okay?"

  "I just keep thinking." He paused, I hummed letting him know I was listening. "About everything." He paused again, thinking about his words. "About how Ezra and Elijah helped you leave, about how you said it was for protection and you had reasons for doing everything you did. I know I said I wouldn't ask, but.... I just.. I know it must've been important for you to just drop and leave everyone like that, especially since you felt the need to fake your death instead of just leaving." He turned around, my arms still wrapped around his waist, he did the same to me, pulling me closer to him. 

 "Yeah?" I asked, wondering if there was a question in there somewhere.

  "Do you regret leaving us? Leaving me? Was I really that much to handle?" I heard his voice waver slightly, and I could feel his pain coming off of him in waves. I realized that after all of this time, he thought he was the reason I faked my death, he was blaming himself. I could feel myself tearing up at the thought, thinking about how much pain he must've been in.

 "Oh, honey." I said sadly, him staring directly into my eyes, awaiting an answer. "I don't regret leaving," I paused looking into his pained filled eyes that almost caused me to let my tears fall on the spot. "I regret not coming back. And it was never about you, I almost couldn't leave because  I didn't want to hurt you. I love you, Nik. I always have and I always will, I would never have left because of something like that, it's just not possible. I do have reasons for doing what I did, but it had nothing to do with you."

  I could see so many emotions flooding through his eyes at that moment. Relief. Hope. Love. Happiness. I could feel a little bit of his pain being lifted, and I saw the beautiful smile I loved so much. I was shocked when I felt his lips on mine, but I quickly responded. It wasn't a kiss filled with lust or desire, but with passion and love. The kiss was him letting me know that he would forgive me, that I had a chance to be happy, that after all of these years no matter how small the part, a part of him still loved me. When we broke apart he rested his head on mine and just held me for what seemed like forever. 

 Finally I spoke up, getting tired standing out here. "Why don't we go lay back down, it's late and i'm tired." We both laughed a bit.

  "Sure, sweetheart." We walked in and layed back down. He wrapped his arms around me and I fell asleep feeling the warmth I had grown to crave.