Chapter 1

Y/n pov

Coach decided training was gonna finish early today, he said he had something important to tell us. I wasn't nervous about it at first but now that I see his pale, blank expression, I'm anxious to hear what he has to say.

Coach Saito: "The reason we finished training early today was because I had something important to tell you all."

We all look around at each other in anticipation.

"I've been offered a coaching position at Shiratorizowa for the girls team there. The school pays their coaches for their time, whereas Karasuno runs on coaches volunteering. As much as I love watching you grow as a team, Shiratorizowa is a lot closer to my home and I could use the extra income..."

I heard a couple whimpers to the side of me, I look down to see my friend Yui attempting to hold in her tears while our coach continues his goodbyes. Yui and I have had Coach Saito since our first year at Karasuno, and now that I'm the captain of our girls team, I've spent a lot of time helping Coach organise events, practise matches and trainings for our team. I can feel the colour from my face drain as I think about what will happen after Coach Saito leaving.

"...I still haven't found a new coach for you girls but I've got someone in mind. The job at Shiratorizowa starts next week so hopefully they agree to coach you guys soon, even if it's just temporarily until the school finds a new coach..."

I can see he's trying to not look anyone in the eye, he's trying to hold back his tears too. I stare down at my trainers untying and retying my shoelaces. This year was meant to be the year we won the spring nationals tournament, Coach Saito had promised he would get us there and we were fairly confident too. This season was meant to be ours, but now that we don't have a coach, I'm not sure how we will win the tournament. This is what I've wanted more than ever, most of our team are third years, so this is going to be our last time playing at Karasuno. I knew I had improved as a player, my spikes were stronger than ever, not to mention gaining the spot of Ace on our team as well as team captain. I mean, I'm the team captain for a reason right?

"...I'm really sorry about this girls, I'll miss watching yo-"

Fuck it, I'm saying it.

y/n: "HEY! Enough crying, we all know our abilities as a team and whether we get a different coach or keep Coach Saito, it won't change how well we play as a team if we stick together, no offence Saito."

"None taken"

"I've known most of you girls for many years and I know we are all prepared for the spring championship, so pick your heads up and we will thank Coach Saito for everything he has done for us."

Everyone stood up and bowed at once.

"THANK YOU COACH SAITO"

We were loud enough for our voices to echo in the gym. We all stood back up straight and Coach bowed back to us, apologising once more.

"I am very sorry girls, thank you for letting me coach you. You may all go and wait outside, I'm treating you all to popsicles. Y/n, can you come here please, I have something to suggest."

I walk over and raise my eyebrows, encouraging him to say what he has to say.

"The person I have in mind to take over already coaches another team, however I'm sure with a little persuasion he will come around to coach you girls too. You're friends with Daichi, the captain of the boys team here right?"

"Yeh, we're really good friends, why?"

"Well, I was thinking about changing our training times to when the boys train and asking the coach of their team to coach you girls as well. I know it will be hard for him to manage both teams, but it will only be temporarily until we find a new coach for your team. Plus, it will be great for both of the teams to play practise games against each other, what do you say?"

Both teams? Surely he can't be serious, that's a lot of students and I know the boys are already tough to control, Daichi complains to me all the time. However, coach's face looks fairly serious and even a little desperate. This is for real, ughhh what do I even say?

"Uhh, yeah that sounds alright for now, when will you ask their coach?"

"Next time I see him I'll be sure to mention it to him. Alright let's head to the store down the road before it gets too late."

I nod agreeingly and walk with Coach Saito to the doors of the gym where some girls are crying about coach leaving, and others are jumping around excited for popsicles. I start smiling, I'm trying to cheer the girls up and put on a brave face for the team. I don't even know the boys coach's name, I hope he's not mean, but at the same time I want an extra push for our team to win the tournament. I'm too competitive to lose in my last year at Karasuno, I'm going to do whatever it takes to win this tournament.