Chapter 16

By now, the thunder and lightning have begun and I'm starting to get a bit anxious about being in the pouring rain alone at night. Fuck, I'll have to try all the other doors, but with my luck, they would all lock just like this one.

I stagger to the other entrances I know of and try the doors. Nothing, all locked and I have no idea how I'll get back inside. My body is shaking uncontrollably from the cold and my whole body is draining in colour. Of course I didn't bring my phone to text someone to unlock the door either. Far out, I'll have to climb through a window or something, hopefully they're not locked as well. Searching for the nearest window, I pull the glass to the side. Lucky for me, it actually opens. This is my second time climbing through a window in a couple weeks, why do I get myself into these types of situations.

My hands are blue, grabbing onto the window frame. It's harder than last time, my shaking body isn't helping me hoist myself through. I prepare to propel myself through the window, slightly rocking back and forwards to gain momentum. This is so embarrassing. Sure enough, I muster the strength to fling myself into the deserted corridor, making a loud thud as I hit the ground. The wind whistles through the open window, so bringing myself to my knees, I try and shut the glass so the rain isn't so loud. I must be making a lot of noise right now as I can hear shuffling in one of the rooms nearby. I'm probably near one of the other teams' rooms.

I feel so weak right now trying to close this window, it's kind of stuck and won't slide across properly. With one big push, the window closes and makes a huge slam. Fuck. I definitely would have woken some people up just then. I need to hurry to the change rooms before anyone sees me.

As soon as I try to stand on my feet, my knees give way and I close my eyes, prepared to hit the ground again. But this time, I don't hit the ground. Someone's holding onto me. I can hardly feel their hands on me, my skin is too numb. I grab my composure and go to apologise to whoever I woke up, until I lift my head and meet a familiar pair of rich, dark brown eyes.

Oh. My. God.

Of course out of all people, I've woken Ukai.

"Shit y/n what the fuck happened to you. You're shaking like crazy."

All I can manage is to stare at him, wide-eyed and in shock.

"I- I wa- was. Th-the r-rain. Equ- equipm- ment, out i- in rai- rain."

Well that was an embarrassing sentence.

I watch as his eyes widen, and his face drain to a similar colour to mine.

"I'm so sorry y/n, I should have listened to you and just finished putting the fucking equipment away on the bus. Fuck I'm so sorry. Here, let me take you to the showers. You're fucking freezing."

I don't think anyone could swear as much as Ukai is right now.

"It- it's oka-y. N- not y- your f- fault."

"Please y/n, you don't have to try and speak right now, you look like you're going to freeze to death."

I mean, he's right. I do feel like I'm going to die of hypothermia right now. I just nod in reply and let him help me stand. He slings my arm over his shoulder and tries to walk with me but my knees keep buckling and I keep stumbling.

"Shit okay, this isn't going to work. Um, is it okay if I carry you? You don't seem like you can walk very well right now."

Again, he's right. I can't walk very well at all. I nod again to give permission, and as soon as I do, he slides his arms around my back and around the back of my legs. Without any effort at all, he lifts my body against his and starts walking to the change rooms. My head rests against his chest as I lay still in his arms with my eyes closed. Now, I can feel the heat radiating off his body, slowly thawing my frozen limbs with every second I'm pressed against him. The warmth is making me sleepy, I can only imagine how good the shower's gonna feel when we get there.

Shortly, we get to the change rooms. Ukai leans his back against the door to open it, and walks inside with me still in his arms.

"You're gonna have to take a shower to warm up. There's no way you can go back to bed like this."

I was thinking the same thing so I just nod.

"Okay here, can you stand?"

He tries putting my feet on the floor but my body has frozen in the position I was in leaning against his chest. My knees won't extend and I can't hold myself upright. I look Ukai in the eye as if to ask 'what should I do?'.

He looks back at me with the same expression, until his eyes widen slightly and his cheeks tint pink.

"I mean, I can hold you under the shower if you need, you can keep your clothes on of course." His voice is quiet, he's probably embarrassed.

Shit. Fuck. Okay, what should I say? I mean I don't really have any other options, I physically can't move my body properly right now.

I nod again and he picks me back up without saying another word. He takes me over to the showers and sits me down on one of the benches while he turns the shower on. He takes his orange hoodie off and places it down next to me. He's wearing a black fitted singlet underneath, I can see the outline of his muscles through his shirt. Fuck I should not be looking at that, he's doing me a huge favour right now.

He picks me up once more and carries me to the running water, it's a perfect temperature. He's made sure it's not too hot, because the temperature difference between my skin and the water would be god awful and I'd burn. But it's still warm enough that I feel my body thaw as soon as the water hits my skin. I'm still in my clothes, just like Ukai, but the warm water seeps through the material good enough to heat me up. I feel so bad that I'm making Ukai do all this for me, a couple more seconds under the shower and I'll be able to stand properly again and he won't have to stay here with me.

"You can put me down now, I think I'll be able to stand. Thank you," I force out. I'm glad I can fucking speak again, that was humiliating.

"You sure?" He questions.

"Yes I'm sure."

"Okay," He puts my feet on the ground but stays under the water and holds onto my shoulder to make sure I don't fall over.

"Also, you're welcome. It was my fault you ran out there to put the equipment away, I should be thanking you for keeping everything dry."

"It's not your fault at all, I promise." I'm trying to convince him to stop feeling bad, because then I'll feel bad if he feels bad and it will be a big old feeling bad mess.

I pull him into a hug, to thank him, and to help him realise it's okay and it's not his fault. Unlike the first time I hugged Keishin, this was on purpose and he's actually hugging me back. I press my face into his chest as he puts his hands on the back of my head, and on the small of my back. He strokes my hair as I squeeze him tighter, it's so warm against his body and under the shower water, I never want to leave.

The thunder and rain are still deafening against the tin roof, which is good, so no one can hear the shower running. It's probably getting late and I don't want to keep Keishin up and later because he has to drive us home tomorrow morning and he can't be tired. I pull my head away from his chest and look at him in the eyes under the running water. His cheeks are still tinted pink, probably from the shower this time though. His hair is wet and falling down the sides of his face, framing his sharp features perfectly. How can he look so good in a moment like right now?

His hand is still stroking my hair, it's comforting and I could fall asleep to the feeling, but I don't want to inconvenience him any further.

"You can go now if you'd like, I don't want to keep you any longer. I don't want you to be tired."

He laughs at my words, throwing his head back and closing his eyes. He really does look beautiful right now.

He looks back down at me and smiles. "I'm always tired, plus this shower is warm so I'm gonna stay a little longer, if that's okay with you?"

Of course it's okay with me.

I smile back and nod, giving my approval.