Chapter 12

Y/N POV

He's only being nice because he has to be. If he wasn't coaching me or coaching with me he wouldn't be showing any interest in me. I bet he wouldn't even talk to me like he talks to the other girls that come into the store. They're way prettier than me and they're older and more mature and they have proper jobs. I wouldn't even call them pretty, they're beautiful and elegant and he would take interest in them way before even considering a girl like me. I can't ask him any favours anymore, so he doesn't have to feel like he owes me anything.

I take my time to get back home. I don't want to message him to tell me I got home safe, I don't want him to have to act like he cares. I unpack the groceries and grab the can of pringles he gave to make for free. I mean, I'm starving and I love pringles so I'm not going to throw them out, so I open them and eat the whole thing. I hear my phone buzz so I check to see who it is. It's Ukai. I roll my eyes and open the message.

Ukai: Hey y/n are you home?

I read the message and turn off my phone. I'm not gonna answer him. I'm too much of an inconvenience anyway. Actually, I won't answer him but I'll turn my read receipts on so he knows I've read his message, I'm pretty petty like that.

I turn it on and decide to have a shower. I walk upstairs and put my phone on the bathroom bench while I get undressed. I turn on the water and wait for it to heat up, as I get another message from Ukai.

Ukai: I know you've read my message, answer my question please

No I'm not answering your question thank you very much. I leave him on seen and get in the shower. I'm still so tired from last night, the water feels so good on my skin.

I hear my phone ringing but I just ignore it. It rings again and again so I open the shower door, turn it on speaker and continue my shower. I didn't see who was calling me, I didn't want to look for too long and get water all over my phone.

"Hello, what do you want? I'm quite busy right now." I have to speak louder than usual so they can hear me over the running water.

"Y/n are you in the shower?"

Fuck it's Ukai, I regret picking up now.

"Uhh yeah, you kept ringing me and it was annoying. What do you want?"

I know I'm being aggressive but I don't really care.

"Well I asked you to message me when you got home so I know you're safe."

Ugh bullshit.

"You don't have to pretend like you actually care if I'm okay or not, you can leave me alone now if you're tired of being nice to me."

"Look y/n, I know what I said hurt your feelings and I'm sorry. It sounded like I didn't actually care about you and that I was just doing my job. It's not my job to pick you up in the middle of the night when you need me, or to give you free snacks because I know you like them. The point is, that I actually care for you as a... friend... so please, I'm sorry."

I've never heard him be so serious before. I think he means it, which is nice to know. I know I was really petty but what he said did hurt my feelings. I guess I can forgive him if he actually means it, and even if that means being friends. But I won't show him I've already forgiven him. I turn off the water and grab my towel as I get out of the shower.

"Sorry I didn't hear anything you just said, the water was too loud."

Obviously I did hear what he said I just want to make him say it again.

"You're seriously going to make me repeat that."

"Yep."

"Ugh fine, I like your company and I consider you one of my friends. Is that good enough?"

"Mmm I'll let it pass. I forgive you. And of course you enjoy my company, everyone does."

If he gets to be arrogant then so do I.

"That's true. All the boys in my team have a crush on you."

No way. He can't be serious. The boys don't like me like that, surely they can't.

"Nah I don't think so."

"Oh no they definitely do. I hear it every training session."

Wow that was unexpected. Kinda a confidence boost though.

"What do they say about me?"

"Most of it I can't repeat but all I can say is that they think you're very attractive, great at volleyball and they all want to either date you or do other things with you. Again, some things I cannot repeat."

Shit this is really embarrassing. What have they been saying around Keishin that he can't tell me? Well, I know they're all a bunch of teenage boys so I'm sure I can imagine what they've been talking about. The thought makes my cheeks turn bright red, I can't believe they've been saying that sorta stuff about me. I don't know whether to be upset or flattered.

"Y/n? Are you okay?"

"OH um yeah, just surprised that's all."

"I can feel you blushing through the phone."

Shit omg that just made it worse.

"I'm not blushing, I don't know what you're talking about."

He laughs, clearly not believing a word I just said. His laugh is deep and rough, it's really attractive.

"Sure sure, anyway I'm still at work so I've gotta go. I'll see you at training tomorrow. OH and also, Hinata and Kageyama have their exams tomorrow so I'll let you know if your tutoring paid off. The trip to Nekoma is this coming weekend so if they fail, they'll have to re-sit their exams during the week which isn't ideal."

"I'm sure they'll pass my tutoring is very effective."

"We'll see when they get their results back."

"Ugh whatever. I need to get changed now so goodbye second best coach."

"See you, y/n."

I like when he says my name.