Chapter 18

"Come sit here," Ukai comforts. He pats the seat next to him on one of the benches of the locker room.

I place myself down next to him and lean my head on his shoulder closing my eyes. I'm going to get no sleep tonight at the rate I'm going.

"Y/n, I think it's time I tell you something."

I hum in response, I'm so tired I can barely speak.

"You know that girl I was talking about before near the bus? The one that makes me really happy?"

My stomach drops. Yes, I remember her. I don't respond, I just wait for him to continue.

"Well, the girl I was talking about... she's the first girl I've liked in a long time. I wasn't even looking for a relationship before I met her. But out of nowhere, there she was. By my side almost every day. She's got an attitude that makes me laugh and I like when she talks back to me. Not to mention she's the prettiest person to ever exist, besides me of course."

I let out a small laugh, I'm happy for him even though I bet he's regretting kissing me right now.

"She's smart and funny and independent and a really good leader."

Okay I think I get it, he doesn't have to keep listing things that make her better than me.

"So, what's her name?"

I'm actually kind of curious to know who she is, I really want to know what she looks like. He's quiet for a second before he speaks again.

"She actually just kissed me back in the shower like 5 minutes ago."

...

No way. NO FREAKING WAY. AHHHHHHHHISFIUBGPAWHFP

I can feel my cheeks heat up against his shoulder, my eyes are wide and my jaw literally dropped open. I can't even form words right now. What do I even say back, this is all happening too fast, I don't even have time to think. Omg he thinks all those things about me, confidence boost much.

"Y/n? Are you okay? Do you want to respond because I'm kind of freaking out that you're not saying anything right now."

Oh shit yeah I should probably say something.

"I knew you liked my attitude."

We laugh in sync as he swings his arm around my shoulder.

"Are you being serious right now? You like me? What about all those pretty girls that come into the store every day?"

He sighs and drops his head slightly.

"They don't interest me, they're rude and obnoxious, which is only allowed when I do it."

I smile at his arrogance.

"So, this is the part where you either reject me or confess your unconditional and irrevocable love for me."

"Wow, I didn't know you could use such big words."

He gives me a side-eye and pretends to look mad at me. Of course, he fails and his grimace turns into a smile, he's so beautiful. I'm trying to stall time to think of something to say, I don't know how to phrase it without sounding dumb. Whatever he likes me so he can't turn back now lmao.

"Well, Keishin. I actually like someone too. They're tall, undeniably handsome and he knows it. He's funny and caring and he has a very pretty smile. He seems lazy but he's surprisingly really hardworking. He's got bleached long hair that's slightly growing out at his roots, and his car smells like cigarettes and cologne, which I remember from when he bought me a meat bun when I was hungry. And I sure do like meat buns."

I giggle as I watch him tilt his head back and let out a deep laugh. He squeezes me tight with his arm that's wrapped around me, it's warm and comforting.

"Yes, I know how much you love meat buns. And excuse me, I do not look lazy."

"I think it's just the dark circles under your eyes."

He makes a shocked expression and I laugh, he's so funny to tease.

"I only have dark circles under my eyes because I'm staying up late working or organising shit for both teams. Without these eye-bags your team would have no training plans."

I guess he's got a point there.

"Don't worry, they make u look like a sexy stoner."

He snickers at my backhanded compliment.

"Okay I'll take that. Also, I think you have a really pretty smile too, prettier than mine."

What is this, Keishin telling me I have a better smile than him? I gasp to exaggerate my shock.

"K that's kinda sus. Where'd the real Keishin go, he's supposed to say his smile is prettier than mine. Stick to the script."

I smile at him as he rolls his eyes and chuckles.

"I'm being serious y/n, you've got the prettiest smile I've ever seen. And I come in at a close second."

He's being so nice right now, I could just stay here forever. But I can't. Farking school. 😐 no thanks bro. That shit dumb as fuck. (a/n: expressing my own hate for school here)

"Thanks Keishin, I really appreciate you." I look him in the eyes and give a small smile. His cheeks darken slightly at my words, he returns the smile and rests his head on top of mine.

"As much as I love hearing you tell me about how pretty my smile is, I think it's time for us to go back to our rooms. I've still got school tomorrow and you've got to drive the bus home."

His smile drops faintly but he nods his head anyway.

"I think it would be best for us to keep this between us for now, until we figure things out, yeah?"

I nod as we both stand up, our clothes have almost dried from the towels but I will still change once I get back to our rooms. We throw the towels in the wash crate as we walk out of the change rooms. I peek out the door before leaving, just to make sure no one's there. Obviously, no one's walking through the halls in the middle of the night, so I start to walk out of the door. Before I can step into the hallway, Ukai grabs my wrist and pulls me back into the room. I turn back around to question him, but I'm beaten to it. His lips crash against mine once more, this time it's quick and powerful, like he wanted to tell me everything he's feeling in one last kiss. I'm overwhelmed but in a good way, he makes me feel bubbly inside. I kiss him back, his soft warm lips fitting perfectly over mine. But before I know it, it's over. He knows we've got to get some sleep. I pull him in for a hug and squeeze him tight.

"I'll see you in a couple hours." I say as I let go and actually walk out the door this time.  

authors note:

sorry yall im in the middle of my exams rn so im not really as active as I should be. in a couple days ill be able to write more, although I don't rlly know where this is going but ill figure it out. thanks everyone for ur support :)))