Chapter 7

Y/N POV

A few days has past and we've been training almost every day. Each training we play a practise match. One win for the boys, then a win for us girls. We are quite even in skill, it all depends on everyone's mood.

Today's Friday and I'm so glad the weeks almost over. I get ready for school and leave the house empty as usual. I start walking to school, I'm pretty early today, I think it's because I ate my breakfast really quickly. It doesn't take long to get there so I take my time.

I walk up the road on the footpath and pass a familiar car. I stare at it for a second before I remember who's it is. It's Ukai's, which makes sense seeing as though it's parked right next to the store. The bell on the door rings and I turn to see a bunch of girls walk out of the store giggling, glancing over their shoulders to look back through the windows. I can only imagine why they seem so giddy. I roll my eyes and start walking up the hill again.

As I walk past the doors I hear someone call my name. I turn to see no one around me on the street, so I figure it came from inside the store. Surely, Keishin's not calling me, Daichi or someone from school must have said my name. I walk back down the hill a couple steps to stare into the window to see if I know anyone that would've called me. I can't see anyone but I can't see the whole store from outside the window so I open the door and step in to look inside. Again, I see no one in the shop except for Ukai behind the counter. He's swinging on his chair, staring at me with a grin on his face.

"Hey did anyone in here call my name?" I ask him, still looking around from just inside the door.

"Yeah, I did," He says as he reaches into his pocket to pull out a cigarette.

"Oh, why?" I'm quite surprised at his answer, I don't know why he wants to see me.

"I thought I could make you look less lonely, you look like you have no friends." He taunts as he lights the cigarette.

Ouch.

"Oh how thoughtful of you." I roll my eyes and turn to leave. I won't let him sit there and insult me.

"Wait, I'm just kidding." I stop and turn back to face him as I lean on the door frame. I raise my eyebrows waiting for an explanation.

"It's boring here and if those girls come back I want someone else to be here so I'm not forced to talk to them. Also because you said you would say hi if you walked past remember?"

How could I forget. I've been thinking about that night at the gym a lot recently. That's why I haven't been coming into the store because I'm nervous. But why doesn't he want to talk to those girls, I mean they're all really pretty and I'm sure they give him plenty of attention.

"Yeah I remember. Why don't you want to talk to those girls though, were they rude to you or something?"

"No they're just really annoying. They come in almost every morning when I'm working, just to stand at the counter and flirt with me. I mean of course I flirt back sometimes but lately it's been getting old. And if there's another person here I'm talking to, hopefully they'll leave."

"Ahh yes I see, you're using me."

"I mean, yes and no."

That doesn't make any sense. My eyebrows furrow, how does that even work?

"Yes I'm using you to get rid of the girls but also no because I actually want to talk to you."

My grimace turns to a smile as my face relaxes. I feel warm inside, he actually wants to talk to me. I can't let him know I care he said that though.

"Who's the lonely one now?" I say mocking his previous comment.

"Ugh shut up. Come sit here." He points to a spot on the counter for me to sit on. I walk over and sit down with my legs hanging off the edge. I see him stand up and lean over the bench, he grabs my ankles and swings them over the register so I'm facing him. I'm wearing a skirt so I pull it down to make sure I'm not showing anything.

"Shit sorry I forgot you were in a skirt." He looks slightly embarrassed by his actions which is... different.

We sit there and talk for a couple minutes about random stuff like the store and volleyball. It was nice getting to know Keishin a little more.

"Anyway, I do have to tell you something though. I got a call from coach Nekomata, he's the coach from Nekoma, if you can't already tell from their names. He invited us to play some practise matches with the Nekoma team and a few other teams Nekomata's got connections with, in two weeks."

"Oh that's great. He was only talking about the boys team though right?" I can't help but feel a little bit jealous the boys will get to go to Tokyo without us.

"Initially he assumed it was just the boys, but I explained our situation and he agreed to let your team come and play too. The boys and girls teams will have to be in separate rooms of course."

"OH MY GOD YES THIS IS GREAT" I jump up off the counter and hug Keishin. I can't believe we get to train with Nekoma. I can't believe Ukai convinced Coach Nekomata to let us come. Wait, I can't believe I'm hugging Keishin right now. Fuckkk

His body is tense, he's probably really surprised I'm burying my face into his chest. I let go as soon as I realise what I'm doing and take a couple steps back. I can feel my cheeks start to burn, I'm probably bright red. This is so embarrassing.

"Sorry I didn't mean to hug you I just- I'm just really excited." I'm basically whispering I'm so embarrassed. I stare at the floor, I can't look at him in the eye. It's silent for a second before I hear him burst into laughter. I lift my eyes to look at him as he puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it. Awh you look so flustered." His words are broken up by his laughs. This is making it even worse.

"Shut up. I've got to go to school now." I stare back at the ground and take deep breaths trying to relax.

"Wait before you go, because I asked Nekomata to let you come to the training camp, you owe me a favour."

What's with him and his stupid deals.

"Fine. What is it?"

"You have to tutor Hinata and Kageyama over the next couple days before their exams. The principal said they have to pass to go to Tokyo. I looked at your grades, you seem to be good enough to help them."

How did he find out my scores???

"Whatever but if they fail that's not my fault." I say as I turn to leave. I've embarrassed myself enough for today, I think I should just go.

"Ugh can't you stay a little longer just to make sure those girls don't come back? I'm not in the mood to talk to them."

"Bad luck I've got school." I'm already walking out from behind the counter to the door. I hear him groan and mumble something under his breath but I can't quite hear it. I reach for the handle but it's pulled out of my hand before I can open the door. The door swings open and the group of girls walk in and push past me without even letting me leave first. Rude much.

I look back at Ukai whose staring at me with a face that looks like he's saying 'kill me now'. I smile and wave sarcastically, mouthing the words 'good luck' before leaving for school.