Star Gazing

[A/n: To any of the people that wanted to draw stuff for this ff, I desperately want this scene to be drawn it is SO cute- so... 🙏 And my Socials are @IKanWriteToo for anyone that DOES draw anything [only reason I say this is because I know a few people said they wanted to draw stuff<3]]

The two boys laid against the soft blanket next to one another, each taking turns pointing out various constellations. The stars shone bright, the moon illuminating the open field that they had been in for hours.

A soft reflection rested along the surface of the water and the crickets' chirping provided for a calming atmosphere, void of the bustling sounds normally heard in the city.

The wind whistled through the crisp night air causing the hundreds of trees surrounding the field to wave back and forth.

The young boys took a pause from constellations, gazing into each other's eyes, a calm feeling wafting over both of them.

"Did you ever think we'd get here? Until Heatwaves... I had not once thought we'd be on a date just a year later, ya know? That author genuinely is the entire reason we're together. Isn't that crazy?" Clay ranted, his voice just above a whisper, its tone much softer than George was used to.

The brunette nodded, moving so his head was against Clay's chest, the two back to looking at the stars, now.

Clay's arms wrapped around the smaller boy, the younger humming in content.

"You dont think we'd be together if they hadn't written Heatwaves?" George asked.

"I don't. That fanfic is the only reason either of us started thinking there could be something... more between us. I think we would have ignored our feelings if it werent for that author," The green-eyed boy spoke truthfully, his mind hardly understanding that this whole situation was real and not just a dream.

"That's true. We're both so bull-headed and stubborn its ridiculous," George replied, a soft chuckle dropping from his mouth.

His eyes drifted to a soft glow that had been floating through the air. The young boy sat up slowly, watching as more and more emerged.

"Have you ever seen fireflies?" Clay asked, the brunette giving him a nod in response.

"When I was little we would set our tent up in the front garden and wait for them to come out," George chuckled, admiring the ball of light that had begun forming in the air.

A lone bug drifted towards the boys, landing on the top of George's pale hand. The brunette stayed still, admiring the beetle that crawled slowly across the surface of his hand.

Clay sat up now, too, his arm wrapping around George's shoulder. A smile fell onto his face as the beetle crawled to George's palm.

Moving slowly, Clay brought his hand up to George's, using his own hand to close the brunette's palm over the small bug.

A soft light illuminated from the interior of George's fist, the taller boy's hand still resting against George's.

"You caught one," Clay whispered. A short scoff leaving the older boy's throat.

"No, you did- technically," the smaller boy retorted, glancing towards Clay. George took just a second to admire the soft glow of the moonlight against the green-eyed boy's face.

"Well either way, you get to make a wish now," Clay's smile grew, his hand falling from George's.

The brunette took a deep breath, allowing his eyes to drift shut. The boy made a wish in his head, opening his hand and watching as the firefly flew back over to its friends.

"What did you wish for?" The taller male asked, laying back down.

"Isn't that against the wish rules? I cant tell you or it won't come true, silly. And I really want it to come true." The british boy paused, laying back down against Clay.

"I guess you're right. Will you tell me if it comes true, George?" The brunette gave a small nod, lacing his fingers with the younger boy's.

They sat in a comfortable silence, Clay's heart beating against his chest. Within the pocket of his jacket rested a small box, the final surprise.

"Have you ever thought that one day, we could be married with a family? I think about it constantly and that alone is enough to make me smile," The taller man whispered.

"You'd spend the rest of your life with me?" George asked, looking up into Clay's eyes.

"I would. I cant imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else, honestly. You're the very definition of perfection." The younger boy sat up, continuing to speak. "There isnt a single thing about you that I would ever change. I nearly drank myself to death and even then, you stuck with me, Georgie."

The brunette smiled, joining Clay in his upright position. The two faced eachother, Clay's thumb running over the box that still remained in his pocket.

The taller boy pulled it out, holding it directly in front of him. George's eyes widened and Clay held up a finger.

"I apologize for setting that up like I was going to propose-" Clay quickly stated, George calming down at his words. "I think we can both recognize that it's a little too soon for that."

"Nice to know we're on the same page," The smaller boy replied. Clay handed him the box, a wide smile on his face.

"Open it, piss baby." The two shared a chuckle before George pried the box open, revealing two simple bands.

"I was talking to Nick a long time ago, and he may have told me you mentioned something about your admiration for the kinds of people that had promise rings. Something along the lines of 'one day I truly hope someone cares about me enough to promise themselves to me forever?'" Clay quoted George, the brunette's eyes widening.

"Clay that was like three years ago! How the fuck do you remember that?" The younger boy chuckled in response, shrugging softly.

"I'm not actually sure. My brain tends to remember important things, though." Clay grabbed onto one of the rings, glancing inside. He smiled, grasping onto George's hand and placing it on his finger. "Look on the inside of it."

The british boy followed orders, a simple statement engraved onto the inside of the ring.

"You melt me...?" George asked, Clay giving a soft nod.

"I'll give you one guess as to what yours says." George smiled, immediately knowing the answer.

"Hmm- let me guess. I burn you?" The brunette guessed, Clay nodding immediately. A smile rose to the british boy's face as he placed the ring onto Clay's finger.

The taller man pulled George's face to his, placing a short kiss onto the brunette's lips.

"A tribute to what started such a beautiful relationship," Clay paused.

"A tribute to Heatwaves."

[A/n: This literally broke me when I wrote it. I feel so single it's crazy. Thought about making this the end because it would be a really good ending... but I want to end differntly so, you get more chapters outta me before its over. ;)]