Chapter Thirty-Eight

~~~

An hour after Dick left, I walked up and locked the door. I pulled on my black sweatshirt, then pushed my window open. I gripped the bag I had and jumped. When I hit the ground I rolled to try to soften the impact which failed since my shoulder pop. When I sat up, I rolled it seeing it was fine.

From my sitting position, I focused on a place I used to know. The one room house, with faded, dull paint that used to be white. Smell of salt was always in the air and everything was covered in a thin layer of dust. I felt my body slowly dissolve and then reappear. When I opened my eyes, I found myself in the cabin on the beach. I hadn't been here since well before my mom died. I needed to get away from Bruce and the boys. And I didn't want to be at camp quite yet. I sat on the floor of the old cabin, taking in everything.

Everything was the same, the beds were pushed off into the one room and the couch had the plastic cover on it. Sand covered the floor, making my hands feel gritty. A small smile rested on my lips, I had a feeling I hadn't had in a long time. Peace.

I knew it wasn't full peace, that never happened. But for once I could be pulled and pushed on by the waves with a memory of me and my mom playing through my mind. I didn't have to worry about anyone but myself at this moment and I loved it. Still my mind wondered places but it always got interrupted by the waves lapping at my feel. The feel of the sand between my toes and broken shells poked slightly. The cold water make me yelp since it was unexpected, but felt nice. The moon reflected on the water so was like a white paint being smeared on a dark blue canvas.

After walking through the beach for an hour or so, I decided go to do bed since I needed to get to camp tomorrow and vapor traveling took a lot out of me. When I land back down my mind was taken to a different place.

When the blackness went away, I was in my room at the manor. With no recollection of how I got here or how long it has been since I got here. It was all rundown and in worse condition then when I left it. When I got up, I noticed the sheets were missing and everything that I left behind was gone. Turning around slowly in the room, they forgot about me quick.

I went out to the hallway, " Hello?"

Every picture was taken down, the paint faded and chipped. It looked like a scene straight out of a horror movie. All the furniture was gone and everything was filthy like Alfred went away a hundred years ago and never came back. The place felt empty and cold, but not just because the power was out. " Hello?"

I felt a pair of arms wrap around my neck and start cutting my airways. A low voice growled out, " Why are you here?"

I snake my hands under their arms as well as I could, then flipped forward sending both of us into the floor. They released their arms and groaned. I rolled away from them, seeing a familiar pare of blue eyes looking back at me. " Dick?"

" Why are you here?" Dick growled.

" What happened? Where is everyone?" I asked, getting up, seeing Dick was being more calm and civil.

" Don't play stupid with me. We both know what you did." He spat. Dick looked tired, not just sleep deprived, but emotionally tired. His hair was a bit longer and I could see burn scars and peeking out of his long sleeved shirt.

" What did I do?" My eyes widened. I failed them, I ran away for a day and look what happened.

" You left us. You decided to have a nap on the beach. Guess you came?" Dick snarled. A fire burnt behind his dead, lost eyes.

I felt sick. How long was I asleep? Why didn't I wake up. Dread pumped through my body, I fell to my knees, wanting to cry. Kronos came and I couldn't protect my family. I felt tears running down my face. I could tell what Dick's emotion was. Pity or disgusted. " What happened?"

" He came. We lost. Because you wouldn't give yourself up. Now he runs the world while the rest of us try to survive." Dick shrugged then started walking away.

" Who," I couldn't seem to finish my sentence, " Who made it?"

" Now you care?" Dick scoffed.

He wasn't wrong. I killed his whole family and now that I was awake there was nothing I can do. I was gone for who knows how long and only appear when I'm not needed. " Please."

" Me, Tim and Superboy. Maybe Kaldur. I haven't seen him in a while. I don't know about your camp."

I nodded, then stood up. Dick started walking away again but I grabbed his arm. He turned around and kicked me in the stomach. I flew to a walk, not expecting the kick. I started to slump down when Dick put his forearm on my neck, pushing slightly.

I look into his eyes, trying to find any emotion that resembles the old Dick I know. I felt my heart drop again, and with everything left in me, " I'm sorry. I should have been here."

Dicks face softened slightly, not noticeable if you hadn't none him for as long as I have. His eyes started to water, he felt bad and needed a hug but he was pissed. He was upset and had no one to take it out on besides me. And he had full right to. He dropped his arm, " That doesn't do anything now."

He starts to walk away and out of the room we were in, " Please leave," then he disappeared around the corner.

I nodded even though he couldn't see me. I had no words. Why am I so important to this world that everything falls apart and everyone dies when I'm not here. It's all my fault. I look around the manor one last time, then walk through the door into the blistering heat of outside.

Because Earth is hell now.

1074 words

1/5/21

Hey, happy new year. The shit show of 2020 is over.

BUT would y'all like an epilogue? Or no? Also sorry for the erupt ending, I just felt like I was dragging it on and it needed to stop lmao

Sorry

Pieces Angels and PLEASE stay safe.