twenty-four

AN: I hope that everyone had a great holiday and a happy new year. We have basically reached the end of The Rise of Skywalker which means we've basically finished the sequel trilogy! Next chapter sees some of the celebration so that's why it's not officially the end of TRoS. But don't worry there is still PLENTY left. Like I'm getting close to 40 chapters and still am not done telling Kat and Poe's story. Thank you all for sticking around this long and for all the love this story has received. It means so much. Without further ado, happy reading!

✧☆✧

The flight to Exegol was rough. They stayed locked onto Rey's coordinates and followed the trail as best they could, jumping to lightspeed for the last time before breaking atmosphere into the Emperor's secret planet. It seemed as though the Final Order was ready for them; for once they arrived ion cannons began shooting at them.

They barely had a chance to look at the fleet but what they could see, ships went on for miles and practically filled the sky as they slowly rose to take off. With ion cannon blasts, Kat couldn't even stay close to Poe as he had originally requested, doing basic evasive maneuvers to avoid being shot down.

"Get to their altitude. They can't fire on us without hitting each other." Poe ordered.

"Don't give up. Help is coming." Kat encouraged everyone as she started to dive down to the Final Order's fleet altitude.

Just below the fleet was the navigation tower. Finn breathed a sigh of relief when he got a clear visual. They could do this. "Poe, I see it. I've got a visual on the tower." He informed them as TIE fighters began deploying from the Destroyers.

"Incoming TIEs," Snap said.

"I see them. Kat, help with coverage. We got you, Finn." Poe ordered.

Kat swooped in firing at as many TIEs as she could. It had been a long time since she had been in the middle of this heavy of a dog fight. She still did pretty decently if she did say so herself. She wasn't shot down, anyways, and that was good enough for her. As she double-checked to make sure there were no more TIEs around her, she noticed the tower starting to turn off. "The navigation tower has been deactivated."

"Those ships need that signal, it's gotta be coming from somewhere," Snap said.

Poe groaned in frustration. "They figured out what we're doing. Call off the ground invasion." This mission was tricky enough. He wasn't about to have a similar experience like above D'Qar and on Crait.

Finn looked around at the various ships. There had to be another way to complete their mission. The ships were still rising which meant the nav signal was transferred to somewhere else. They just need to know where. So when he felt a strong pull towards one that was farthest away from the action, he let the force guide him to what it was trying to show him. With it being so far away from the others it must be the command ship, which would make it the one they sent to Kijimi. "Wait, the nav signal is coming from that command ship. That's our drop zone."

Jannah looked at him concerned. "How do you know?"

He smirked at her, referencing a previous conversation they had on Endor about the force. "A feeling."

"You wanna launch a ground invasion on a Star Destroyer? Finn, are you sure?" Kat asked.

"I don't want to, but we can't take out that ship's nav system from the air. It's coming from there, Kat, I know it. I sense it."

Kat let out a sigh, never one to second guess a force user's feelings. "Alright. What's your plan?"

"Give us cover. We gotta keep that fleet here till help arrives."