seventeen

With a groan she slowly opened her eyes, wincing at the pain as she quickly covered her eyes from the bright afternoon sun. She definitely had a concussion. She closed her eyes again, not wanting to deal with it right now as she let her other senses help her out. She felt grass on her skin, she was sore all over but especially her head. She heard the typical rumble of a busy day in the capital and then a realization washed over her. Ben didn't take her. She was still on Chandrila.

Oh, shit. She was still on Chandrila.

Her eyes popped open despite the pain when she heard rushed footsteps she tried to push herself up but soon hands were on her arms, helping her sit. Darby's face soon entered her field of vision and she grew worried when she saw two of them. "I think I'm going to be sick," Kat warned, doing her best to stop the dizziness.

"Not on me you're not." She said, maneuvering them so Kat could throw up in the grass beside them, which she did.

"I heard one of Ren's bodyguards talking about how he was stupid to let someone so high up in the Resistance go. He said that he didn't think there was anything to worry about so as soon as they left I came to find you." Darby explained as she checked over Kat's head for any bleeding that might be occurring. "I also don't know if you're in any condition to drive and who knows if your ship is in any driving order."

Kat wiped her mouth, feeling a little better despite the raging headache that was kicking in. The Knight of Ren must have hit her over the head when she turned to look at Ren. "Just give me a few and it'll be like I'm driving with a hangover. I'd rather not call my ride, he's got an in with my mom and I'm sure I'd never be allowed off base again."

"Ooh, a he, huh?" She teased as she pulled Kat's hair out of her braid to help relieve some tension.

"Shut up and help me get to my ship." Kat rolled her eyes, careful of the vomit beside her as she stood.

Darby handed over her sunglasses to a grateful Kat as they started walking. It was more of a hobble at first, with Kat trying to get her balance back in order from the bit of vertigo she was experiencing. "I really think you should get checked out before flying." Darby voiced her worry.

"If I have driven fine drunk then I can totally do this. I'll even call you when I get back to base."

"I don't think this is the same as driving a speeder on Naboo." Darby gave Kat a pointed look.

The other woman wasn't paying any attention. They had reached the lot that Kat had parked in and there was her ship, cut in half by a kriffing lightsaber no doubt. She really was never going to be let off base again. "Is my family garage still in order?"

"Yeah, I think so. Why?"

"Can you take me there?"

"Of course."

The two friends made their way back to the capital and headed straight for Darby's speeder. Kat knew that she would need to call into base soon. She was actually surprised the commlink Poe had given her hadn't started going off yet. She'd call as soon as she knew if the light freighter that Han and Leia kept on hand for whoever didn't get the Millennium Falcon was still in the garage.

Darby stayed in her speeder and kept watch as Kat keyed in the code to open up the Organa-Solo garage. There, still covered in a sheet, was the light freighter she had heard Han and Leia talk about one night when she was supposed to be asleep. Poking her head back out, she stuck her thumb up, and with one last wave, Darby left.

Pulling the sheet off, Kat smiled when she saw that it still looked like new. She walked around doing a check to see if anything needed any mending from being left untouched for so long but it seemed like luck was back on her side. The lights still stung but she was pushing through. Once on board, she did another walkthrough to check on everything and when all the proper lights flashed and things looked clear, she started all of the preflight protocols.