fifteen

Leia woke to find Kat curled against her. The general smiled softly, tucking a few strands of hair out of her daughter's face. She had taken her own advice and after she had made her rounds, she had joined Kat in the captain's quarters. She didn't have the heart to wake the young woman up, not when she looked so peaceful and relaxed. She supposed that sleeping in what was practically a second home would allow Kat to finally get the much-needed sleep her body desired.

Placing a kiss on her daughter's forehead, Leia got out of bed and ready for the day. She made her way to the galley to make herself a cup of tea when she felt Rey enter. "Good morning, Rey."

"Good morning. May I have a cup?" She asked, motioning towards the tea that Leia was making.

"Of course." She smiled.

"I met your daughter. She isn't..." The young Jedi trailed off, not quite sure how to phrase the next part. A Jedi? Force sensitive? She wasn't quite sure of the phrasing but luckily Leia knew what she meant.

"No, her birth parents weren't force users. I may have adopted her but she's every bit my daughter as if I had given birth to her myself." She then smiled. "I hope she didn't treat you poorly. She's slow to trust."

"She was fine." She smiled reassuringly before she was reminded of how cold her voice had gotten when she mentioned the other Solo child. "I learned though, that I probably shouldn't mention Ben."

"That is a very complicated relationship. She's not too happy with him right now."

Rey couldn't help but laugh. "I think that's putting it lightly."

"My son is gone and I think we're both still coming to terms with that," Leia said as she handed the young Jedi a cup of tea.

When they returned to the main hub of the ship, it seemed a little livelier than a few moments ago. That's when they both noticed a certain pilot pacing. "Poe!" Leia called out, stopping the man in her tracks. "If you're worried about her just go check on her." She smiled knowingly.

Red tinted his cheeks at being caught. He had ignored the looks from his squadron after he returned from heading to the captain's quarters on his second turn. He gave a curt nod and turned back around to finally head to the room he couldn't quite make himself go to. When everyone else was awake and with no sign of Kat, who was notorious for being awake before all of them, he had grown worried.

He knocked but when he didn't get a response, he entered the room. He let out a sigh of relief when he noticed the rise and fall of her chest. She was still asleep and it was the most relaxed he thought he'd ever seen her. He almost didn't want to wake her but he also knew that she would be needed eventually. Rose woke in the middle of the night and had asked for her, so he knew that the moment Rose woke again, the mechanic would come looking for her friend.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, he tucked some hair behind her ear, just watching her sleep a little while more. He gently shook her shoulder as he called for her to wake up.

She groaned and swatted at his arm. "Five more minutes."

He chuckled and started shaking her again. "Come on, you've got a crew to inform and a friend to say hello to."

Her eyes opened then, hope shining through them. "Rose's awake?" Her voice was gravelly with sleep as her words slurred a bit.

He chuckled, nodding. "Good morning to you too, Kat." He teased her.

Rolling her eyes, she playfully shoved at him. "You know the last time you woke up before me you had the decency to bring me breakfast." She teased right back.