five

The next morning, Poe stirred as something tickled his nose. Eyes still closed, his brow furrowed in confusion. He felt the dull ache of a hangover in his skull and why did his right arm feel like there were pins and needles in it? Then there was the question of the added weight on his chest, not enough to where he was pinned down but enough that he could feel a difference.

The tickle came again and this time he opened his eyes, figuring that whatever was happening he didn't have to continue to be asleep. He came face to face with a head full of brunette hair that was attached to a body that was curled up against his side, using his chest as a pillow. He didn't remember taking anyone back to his room last night and typically they were gone by the time he got up. Then again if that was the case, why were they both fully clothed?

He then remembered where he was. This wasn't just some one night stand. He was on a mission in Coruscant and lying next to him was his colonel, the woman who gave him a headache more times than not, the woman that was starting to grow on him. He slowly moved out from underneath her, not wanting to deal with her temper so early in the morning even if it was he who had reservations about sharing the bed. They'd have to do better and actually put up that pillow barrier because waking up like that was something he could not get used to.

She looked so peaceful. An expression he had never seen on her face when she was awake. The walls she had built around herself usually up but yesterday she had let him in. He pulled the blankets back up around her shoulders, letting her sleep for a while longer. She deserved it after everything she faced the day before.

Poe made his way down to the lobby where breakfast was currently being served. There was quite the spread laid out and he tried to remember what he had seen her eat on base. Seeing the various teas, he started there first, picking one that he had seen her drink before. As he poured himself a cup of caf, someone walked by with a yogurt parfait, his eyes lit up. He had definitely seen her eating one of those before with an ungodly amount of granola.

By the time he returned to their room, Kat had woken up. She sat in the middle of the bed, arms stretched above her head as she tried to work out the kinks she had picked up in her sleep. "I see you finally decided to wake up." Poe teased her.

"It is too early in the morning to deal with your shit, Dameron." She replied, walls firmly back into place.

He mentally sighed. He had hoped things would start to be different but it seemed like that was not going to be the case. "Well, then good thing I brought presents." He sat his cup and plate down on the dresser before handing her the bowl full of yogurt, granola, and fruit, and her cup of tea.

That earned him a smile and a soft thank you before setting her cup to the side and mixing her meal together. They ate in silence, both hiding smiles behind their cups. Hers because she was pleasantly surprised he had gotten her one of her favorite breakfasts. His, because he noticed that she realized he had made her meal exactly how she liked it. Maybe there was hope after all.

"So I thought we could go to Monument Plaza today before going to the Uscru District," Kat said after she had finished eating.

Poe nodded. "Do you want the shower first?"

Kat smiled. "Yes, please." She climbed out of bed and went to her bag, grabbing everything that she would need.

✧☆✧

They claimed a table off to the side of the plaza. When they first arrived, they walked around the mountain peak, even reaching out to touch the rock that was protruding from the ground. Poe didn't understand the novelty behind it but he kept his mouth shut for once as he watched Kat reach out with a nostalgic look on her face. She touched it for barely a second before pulling her hand away and shaking her head. "I could use some caf, how 'bout you?" She turned to ask him.