fourteen

AN: I apologize for the wait. I should hopefully not have any more large life events until the holidays to keep me off track. If you're keeping track of where we are in the films, we're headed towards the Battle of Crait in this chapter and moving slightly beyond. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!

✧✩✧

Kat looked up when Leia came to be near her. She was seated by Poe, holding his hand. There was a sad air about the older woman that even Kat could pick up on. "What's happened? Where's Holdo?"

"She's staying behind to pilot the cruiser."

Her eyes widened. "There's been so many losses already."

"It's her choice."

Kat sighed, nodding. "There was something she told me that made me worried." She looked to her mom, that worry written plainly all over her features. "She said that I was working in my blind spots. That I didn't see the picture clearly anymore."

Leia placed a hand on her cheek. "I have blind spots too. It used to just be in the form of your father but then it morphed to include you and your brother. In my experience, they're typically correlated with those you love."

Shaking her head, Kat didn't want to agree with what her mom had said. She could easily see it in regards to her. She had thrown out all she had been taught from the woman sitting next to her because she was trying to preserve Leia's life's work.

"Sometimes it's in the form of blindly following instead of looking at all options when presented with new information." She said, giving her daughter a knowing look.

Well, that statement hit a little too close to home. So Kat looked away and her eyes landed on Poe's still unconscious form.

✧✩✧

Suddenly Poe jolted awake, startling Kat. He looked around, dread filling his stomach before his eyes landed on a hand in his. He followed the hand to where it was connected to an arm, all the way up to Kat's face whose features had settled into something a bit apologetic. "No, no, no, Kat we're sitting ducks out here and you know it." He said as he sat up, turning to face her.

"Actually, we're not. They don't even know we're out here." She squeezed his hand before letting go and motioning for him to look out the bit of transparisteel they were sitting in front of.

A blue looking planet was growing larger and larger as they grew closer and closer. "What is that?" He asked, coming to stand near the two women.

"The mineral planet, Crait," D'Acy answered. "An uncharted hideout from the days of the Rebellion."

"That's a Rebel base?" Poe asked in disbelief, turning to look at the other commanding officer.

"Abandoned and heavily armored. With enough power to get a distress signal to our allies scattered in the outer rim." D'Acy answered once more, looking at both Kat and Poe, not knowing that the colonel had now been made aware of what Holdo's plan held.

"Holdo knew the First Order was tracking our big ship. They're not monitoring for little transports." Leia spoke up, speaking to the two right in front of her.

Kat looked up to Poe as he looked at her with a sigh, understanding washing over him now. Kat had figured it out when Leia had told her they were headed to Crait, she just wished she had been told before she made a mess of things. But then things truly clicked for Poe. "So we could slip down to the surface unnoticed and hide until the First Order passes." He said, getting the idea behind Holdo's plan now. He wished that he and Kat had just been told or they wouldn't have fought to try and save the Raddus. Not to mention Finn, Rose, and BB-8 would still be with them.