thirty-one

AN: Hello! I apologize for going quiet there for a bit but I was moving, getting settled, seeing family, ya know life stuff. Anyways I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your love for this story. It really means so much. I'm hoping to get back to posting on Sundays and Wednesdays. So with that being said, I hope you enjoy this latest chapter! Happy reading!

✧☆✧

With datapad in hand, Kat wished Poe well on his mission and headed back out to the main room. She plopped down in the seat next to Rose. Her friend had already made her a plate and as she grabbed a bite, she smiled gratefully. Soon the two were deep in conversation as they worked through Kat's notes and the file Leia had left behind.

Kare and Norra were in the kitchen, washing the dishes, watching as the two worked. "What was it like serving under her?" Norra asked, wanting to talk about something other than what they needed to.

"It was great. Far better than the colonel or even the general I served under with the NRDF. She's no-nonsense but she has her people's backs. She really tried with every mission to bring back everyone. Each life lost, she holds on to. I'm really glad I got to work with her and continue to do so."

"So you're not going to stick around?"

Kare sighed. "Temmin and I talked about coming back here and starting a life after things but I don't know if I can do that, Norra. I know I couldn't go back to being in a fleet without him, it's part of the reason I joined Kat's efforts with rebuilding. So I'd like to see what Kat comes up with for me to do in the new system. Even though I know Temmin would still want me to do some of the things we talked about, I can't do them without him by my side, at least not right now. I'd rather do something useful with my life so if it's sticking around with the rebuilding efforts, then that's what I'm going to do."

Norra dried her hands on the towel nearby before placing a hand on Kare's shoulder. Kare looked over at her mother-in-law, wondering what the woman would say next.

"Just promise you will do what makes you happy and that you will still come visit your old mother-in-law."

Kare turned and wrapped Norra in a tight embrace, grateful for her support as she tried to figure what was next for her. "Of course I will. I'll visit so much you'll get sick of me."

Norra chuckled, holding her daughter-in-law close. "I could never get sick of you. Thank you for loving and taking care of my Temmin. He loved you so much that I even knew before I met you how much I would love calling you daughter. Both of you make me so proud."

With a tearful smile, Kare pulled back, thanking Norra for her words before both women returned to their task.

✧☆✧

She and Rose had figured out more of the details of the senate. They even figured out a name to call this new organization. The Galactic Union.

"We can't call it the New New Republic." Kat had said. She grew tired of coming up with different euphemisms so she needed to come up with a name.

"Well, it's just a galactic union, is it not?" Rose had asked, causing Kat to jump on the name. It was by far the easiest conclusion they came to since they started brainstorming.

Kat now sat outside, blanket wrapped around her shoulders as she looked up at the stars. Most everyone had turned in for the night or docked themselves into charging stations.

"Huh, thought I'd be the only one out here." Wedge said as he joined her on the steps.

"I needed to talk to the stars a little before I went to bed," Kat said, looking over at Wedge with a soft smile.