twelve

AN: This chapter has a couple of my favorite scenes I've written. I would love to hear what yours is and see if they're similar!

✧☆✧

When Kat walked through the doors to the bridge, Connix looked over and smiled at her. Wanting to apologize, she made her way over and leaned against her station. "I wanted to apologize for what you witnessed earlier, lieutenant. I hope that I can earn whatever trust I may have lost with my outburst back."

Connix shook her head. "I never lost any trust with you, colonel. Anyone in your position would have done the same. I'm just glad to see you looking a little better."

Kat smiled and chuckled. "Must have looked awful earlier then. Either way, I appreciate it." She pushed away from the station so she could stand behind the lieutenant. "Now, what are we working with?"

"Colonel Metonae, may I have a word?" Holdo asked before Connix could respond.

The colonel made her way over, unsure of what Holdo wanted to speak with her about, especially since it felt like she was being called into the headmaster's office. "I know what you're doing," Holdo said once Kat was at her side.

Confusion was written all over Kat's face. "My job? I know we're running low on fuel but I was asking for an update so that I can better assist in things."

"You and Captain Dameron are close, yes?" Holdo asked instead of giving an update like Kat had hoped for.

"I don't see how that has anything to do with this. He was one of my best commanders and when he learns to think things through he can certainly be that way again. I'm assuming we're keeping out of range of the Star Destroyer cannons or the TIE's wouldn't have retreated. If I can just know what your plan is I can make sure my team is ready."

"It matters a great deal, actually. You see after the meeting ended, he tried to get some information. Since he's been demoted, he is now on a need to know basis. I need to trust that my colonel isn't going to go against orders. I know Leia let you run about how you saw fit but right now we need to stay strict so that we don't have another dreadnought incident."

Kat scoffed and crossed her arms over her chest. "And I need to trust that the commanding officer I let lead in her place isn't going to ruin what she's worked so hard for."

"That's funny coming from the commanding officer who ran instead of taking charge."

A self-deprecating smile grew across Kat's features as realization hit. "Then I'm sure you were thrilled when I did so. It fed into your belief that I'm not meant for the position Leia put me in." She then let out a harsh, humorless laugh. "And here I believed your words of comfort. Thought that because you were close with Leia that you trusted me." She then took a step closer, her shoulders square, her expression cold. Despite being on the taller side for being a woman, Holdo still stood above Kat but that didn't make the young colonel back down. "Now tell me how are we going to lose the First Order fleet?"

"We will not be doing anything because I currently don't need the few remaining pilots to do anything. So back to the med bay. I'd appreciate all updates when they're available."

Kat knew when she was being dismissed. She curled her hands into fists, holding back her outrage. If she had an outburst, she would only be proving Holdo and those who thought like her right. Here she thought she had proved herself from all the rumors that followed her from Naboo.

She was greeted by not just Poe when she got back to Leia's room but Finn, Rose, and C3PO as well. They swiftly turned to face whoever was entering but Kat noticed all three of them relax when they noticed that it was just her. "Well, I'm not getting anything out of Holdo. Said I shouldn't have run which is a whole lot of banthashit. So what are you three up to?"