twenty-seven

Beeping caused Kat to turn around. She really didn't pay attention to her surroundings as she raced off the Falcon. She wanted to get to her room, grab her batons, and think things through. Apparently, though she walked right by BB-8 and the droid had yelled at her to grab her attention. "What is it, Bee?"

The droid chirped, asking for Poe's location.

"Last I saw him, he was on the Falcon."

BB-8 thanked her but before they could roll off, she called out for the droid to wait. At their slight head tilt, Kat crouched down to speak with them. "He's probably going to be a little upset, mostly at me so don't take anything personally."

The droid beeped at her, asking what she did, which caused her to sigh.

"It's a long story, buddy. If he'll listen, tell him I'm sorry?"

They moved their dome from side to side before chirping, asking why she couldn't tell Poe herself.

"There's a conversation waiting to happen on the other end of that apology that I'm not ready for. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you, though. So go find him before he decides to leave the Falcon." She gave him a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

Even BB-8 could tell that whatever happened between Poe and Kat, hurt her too. They beeped an affirmative before bumping her knee and rolling off. They wondered if Poe would give them any more information. The droid had grown to really like Kat and they knew that she made Poe happy, they made each other happy so they hoped that they would be able to work things out.

✧☆✧

"What the hell are you doing in here?" Kat asked as she saw Wes sitting on her bed, putting on his shoes.

"Rose let me stay here since you were presumably with that pilot of yours all evening," Wes said, not even looking up at her.

Letting out a small huff, Kat laid the datapad on her drawers and grabbed her batons. "How long are you staying?"

"Why? Trying to get rid of me already?" He teased, finally looking up at her. His smirk quickly fell as he took in her facial expression. Sure there weren't too many emotions expressed since it seemed like she was trying to hide behind annoyance but her eyes were far too telling, they always were. "What's going on, Kat?" He asked, standing up, approaching her like one would approach a scared animal.

"Nothing. I just have a lot of plans to make."

He rolled his eyes as he gently removed the batons from her hands and led her to sit down. "Yeah, you're not making the face you usually make. So wanna try that again and cut the banthashit?"

"How would you know what faces I usually make?"

Wes chuckled and shook his head. She was trying to push him away. Something must have happened between her and Poe. He should have known from the moment she stepped in. She was on the defensive and it reminded him of the times after he rescued her from the First Order POW site and again after she ended her relationship with her cheating ex-boyfriend. "We may have not seen each other except once in the three years after school but the only thing that I see that has changed is that you're not so lonely anymore."

So completely overwhelmed with everything swirling around inside her, she began to cry, slouching forward to rest her head on Wes's shoulder. There it is, he thought as he wrapped his arms around her so he could stand and sit next to her on the bed.

"I'm so sick of crying." She said in between her tears. It felt like that's all she did lately.

Rubbing his hand along her back, he pressed a kiss to the top of her head which only made her wish that it was Poe instead. "Kat you've gone through a lot of shit, especially in the seven years that I've known you. Just because you're crying, doesn't make you any less of the badass that you are. Those people out there are still going to follow you to the ends of the Galaxy regardless."