eighteen

AN: It's the chapter you've all been waiting for! Thank you all for the love that you've shown this story. It is truly appreciated. Happy reading!

✧☆✧

This time Kat wasn't alone when she flew off Ajan Kloss. Poe sat beside her in the co-pilot seat of the light freighter she had taken from Chandrila. They had fought about that. Despite them heading towards Yavin IV and having a small crew in the main hub of the ship, Kat claimed the ship as hers so, therefore, was to be the pilot.

Even though she had a clean bill of health, Poe wanted to be the one to do all the heavy lifting. She wasn't going to let that happen. While she had been grounded he had been the one to go meet with Ruby and Maz. He even brought the latter woman back to Ajan Kloss with him. Now that she was cleared, she was ready to get back in the action.

With the help of his father and a few other retired Rebels, they were able to find some more ships to build up the Resistance fleet and Kes had even said that some people were wanting to join. The old base had even been cleaned up for the small crew Kat and Poe were bringing along. Their return to Ajan Kloss would be drawn out, not wanting to bring any attention to themselves. They would go back in pairs, hoping that with however many people were joining them from Yavin that they would still be able to do just that, with Kat and Poe going back last.

Kat certainly wasn't expecting a welcoming committee when they landed but it seemed like Poe had. Chuckling, he shook his head as he helped with shutting everything down. "Oh, dad." He muttered as he stood. The older man stood at the front of the group, grinning, as he waved.

"C'mon, I guarantee you there's a whole buffet waiting for us." He held out his hand for her to take like it was natural. And really it started to be.

They hadn't talked yet, well not about what had been brewing between them since they got back from Coruscant, but in those three weeks Kat was grounded, a pool had started unbeknownst to them because of how together they acted. All of their friends were in on it, some having to keep changing their bet because nothing was happening between the two. Rose and Snap seemed to be the only ones who held steady with their original bet. Knowing what she knew about the last mission the two had gone on, Rose had bet something would happen this time. She was so sure she even started talking a little trash as the light freighter took off. Snap however seemed certain that nothing was going to happen until after the war was over.

Raising an eyebrow, Kat silently questioned him. They weren't alone and they were about to greet his father. Instead, he just gave her an expectant look and pushed his hand forward. Kat sighed, taking it and he helped her up. "So stubborn." He muttered as they made their way to the main hub.

"Look who's talking." She replied which just earned her his signature grin.

Just before they entered the hub, Poe squeezed her hand before letting go. The small crew already filed out with Poe and Kat bringing up the rear. Kes Dameron parted the sea of people and headed straight for his son. Both men grinned from ear to ear as they held each other tight with plenty of hearty back slaps.

Kat smiled at the scene, letting them have their moment as she began to push her crew members to introduce themselves to the ones who were waiting to greet them, thank them even for their help. It seemed like both sides had been waiting for instructions from their respective leaders or maybe they were too caught up in the father and son reunion.

Poe noticed how she herded their group before introducing herself to who he assumed was acting second in command since from how Kes put it, he had been leading the whole clean up effort. Chuckling, he pulled away from his dad and Kes immediately turned to find exactly what his son was looking at. "Entonces esa es la mujer que te ha robado el corazón." Kes phrased his question more like a statement.