Chapter 20

The Gryffindor common room was filled with nothing but groans of frustration and chatter. Just as their parents had warned them, sixth year wasn't exactly going as smoothly as their previous years. With exams almost every other day and essays filling up those gaps, it was no surprise that Rose was heavily sleep deprived and burnt out- but nonetheless, she managed to turn in her work just in time with perfect scores.

Rose sighed and threw her text book aside. She had spent the last two hours cramping in a three page essay about amortentia. And to think that tomorrow she'll have to brew it was enough to make her repeatedly slam her head into the couch pillow.

"Er...Rose? Are you okay?"

Albus entered the common room and tapped her shoulder in concern.

"Huh? Oh, I'm just peachy." She yawned and rubbed her eyes.

"Peachy..." Al trailed off, looking at the myriad papers scattered around her. There was a half empty bottle of ink and a deteriorated quill laying on top of a textbook that was so thick that Al's head hurt just thinking of what was inside it. "Rose, you gotta give yourself a break."

She laughed at the thought. "Oh, my sweet cousin, you are so naive. There are no breaks when you're taking N.E.W.T.s."

"I think you mean that there are no breaks when you're determined to do better than Scorpius."

"I can do that with my eyes closed. Plus, it's not my fault he's obsessed with trying to out-shine me."

"Actually, I think it comes naturally- no offence."

Rose gasped and chucked her pillow at his head. "It doesn't come naturally. I thought his intentions were obvious but clearly, a dim witted cousin of mine is blinded by Malfoy's 'I'm so perfect- love me!' act."

Albus laughed and shook his head. "Oh lay off. He's not that bad."

"It's almost like you've been oblivious to the six years of suffering he has put me through."

"Okay, okay, I get it. Look, all I'm saying is that at this rate you'll be going mad by the end of the year. Just relax."

"I guess..." Rose sighed and looked at the mess of schoolwork around her.

"Alright, well I've got quidditch practice." His face lit up as he remembered something. "Oh, did I tell you yet? I'm captain of the team again!"

Rose smiled at his elation. "Three years in a row. Good on you, Al."

"I know! I mean, I already knew I was going to get it but still. And now that James graduated, there's no doubt we're going to win."

Rose was about to congratulate him once more but he cut her off. "And on top of that, the Quidditch World School Championships are being held this year."

"Really? I thought they stopped doing those."

"They did, but things changed now. I can already see it- me in the middle of the pitch as everyone chants my name. After a long, hard game, Albus Potter rises to victory- of course with the rest of my team."

"Mmhm." Rose nodded her head and tried to match his energy. Not the easiest when quidditch seemed like the most boring, useless, and time-wasting sport to be invented.

"Oh shoot! I'm late for practice." Albus scurried to the door. "Bye Rose! And don't forget to chill out with the work." Albus yelled as he ran down the corridors.

Was it worth it? Seeing as that they were both taking N.E.W.T.s, the two went head on head for weeks since school started up again. Rose spent almost every second of her so-called 'free-time' reading lesson chapters and jotting down notes. To her, it was an obvious yes. The thought of Malfoy beating her in her own game was detrimental itself. And yet, still he managed to one-up her in DADA and potions.