5th year: Partners

Fifth year had finally come. Rose has never felt more proud of herself, and for a good reason. She was a perfect! The letter came in just a couple days ago, and Rose already knew what it had to say before even reading it. But she still gave herself the pleasure of reading it. Again, and again, and again. Her little brother, Hugo, was also excited because he was going to Hogwarts for the first time.

"Dom did you hear? I'm a perfect!"

"I know! Ugh, I'm so proud of you!" She squealed and ran towards Rose, hugging her.

They were already in the train and Rose headed to the Perfects compartment. She came just in time too, seeing a couple other familiar faces walk into the room with her. After giving the room a brief scan, her face dropped.

Malfoy? Why is he here? Noticing this change in facial expressions, Malfoy smirked.

"Hey Weasley." That stupid little smirk only grew when he saw her face heat up.

"This is a Perfect compartment Malfoy. I think you're in the wrong room." Rose forced out the words as calmly as she could but that didn't fool him. He knew she was raging inside.

He looked down at the shiny badge sitting right next to the small green snake in the top corner of his robe then smirked back at her. "I am a Perfect. Surprised, Weasley? I wouldn't be, I mean my grades are remarkable, I'm talented, amazing, and quite a good role model."

Her eyes twitched at this. "A good role model? For who, a bunch of goblins? Stop flattering yourself Malfoy." Before he could respond, the door opened and all the chatter among the perfects dropped.

"Good morning, everybody. I suppose we are all ready for the introduction?" Professor Mcgonagall looked at the current Head Perfects.

"Uh, yes. For starters, congratulations. If you are in this room, you have been chosen to be a perfect for your house and year. Go ahead and give yourselves a pat on the back." A light row of cheers flew through the compartment. Rose recognized the boy next to her as Justin Pearly, her fellow Gryffindor Perfect. He gave her a small smile in which she returned.

"As for this next part may come as a bit of a surprise to you- we have decided to pair up Perfects of different houses to do their duties together. We hope that as a result, you will learn more the similarities and differences each individual possesses without letting House rivalry get between us. As Perfects, it's important that we understand we are all role models for the underclassmen. Understood?" Then it was the Head boys turn to talk.

"We have already come up with a list of partners for this year." The boy began to read out names and pairing people up. Please, I am begging you, don't put me with-

"Scorpius Malfoy and Rose Weasley." Rose's head snapped up and found herself staring straight into his cold, silver eyes. Of course. Out of everyone in the compartment, she was paired up with Malfoy. How lovely. There was no way she was going to let Malfoy ruin her experience as a perfect and she was determined to do something about it. After a long, boring speech, they were dismissed and Rose headed towards Professor Mcgonagalls compartment.

"Please Professor, there must be something you can do. I can-" Mcgonagall stopped her with a risen hand.

"I'm afraid there is nothing I can do."

"Wha- but what about-"

"Miss Weasley, I am going to stop you right there. This behavior is exactly why you're not switching partners. Now could you remind me of the purpose of partners in the first place?"

"To get along with other houses. And professor, I understand that. You could partner me up with Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff or even a different Slytherin. But please, I beg you not with Malfoy."