Chapter 23

Rose was currently sitting at the Gryffindor table, eating her cereal. She scrunched her nose as she read the box, 'Giant Purple Toad Puffs'. They really need to change the title. Rose had to remind herself that these were simply corn syrup infused, purple dyed, rice balls- not actually giant purple toad parts.

"Why is everyone so loud today?" Rose asked, watching as people exuberantly placed bets and conversed.

"You forgot? Today's the Slytherin-Hufflepuff game!" Dom exclaimed.

"How exciting." She rolled her eyes. This school goes crazy over such a ridiculous game.

"Hey Weasley." A cool voice drawled, making her freeze with her spoon half way into her mouth.

A chorus of greetings came from the table from every red-head but one.

Malfoy slid in next to her while Albus threw himself between Dom and Lily.

"I was talking to her, but hi anyways." He chuckled, pointing to Rose.

"Of course you were." Lily sniggered.

"So, is my amazing family going to cheer me on today?" Al asked, stacking his plate up with waffles.

"I guess."

"Sure?"

"I don't know."

"Nope."

Al's face dropped as he glared at his cousins- and his own sister for that. "So much for family." He grumbled.

"Sorry Al. House over blood." Lily shrugged.

"It's not even Gryffindor. It's Hufflepuff!" Al exclaimed while pouring a river of maple syrup onto his plate.

"I wouldn't be caught dead cheering for Slytherin." Rose chimed in. Her family nodded in agreement.

"Is that so?" Malfoy asked, just quiet enough for only her to hear.

Her head snapped towards him and her heart pounded as he leaned forward. "Yes. And I stand by it."

"We'll see about that." He smirked, taking a bite of his apple.

Thankfully, Albus interrupted them and pulled Malfoy into a conversation of quidditch strategies. Rose cursed herself for being so nervous. Pull it together, Rose.

Last night, she had admitted to herself that she had feelings for him. She can checked off step one: acknowledgement. Now, she was on step two: get over this silly little crush ASAP because it means absolutely nothing and will only lead to trouble. Easier said than done.

~~~

Dom held Rose and Lily's hand, leading them towards the Gryffindor section of the stadium as people in all directions pushed past them.

Having finally reached their normal spots, Rose shivered, only now noticing how cold it was. Winter's peak was approaching, yet somehow it still wasn't snowing. She pulled her coat closer to her, moving closer to Dom and Lily.

"Can I borrow someone's jacket?" Lily asked, hugging herself warm.

"Why didn't you bring one?"

"I didn't think it would be this cold!"

Rose sighed and tossed her coat to Lily. It's fine, it's only a little chilly. It's not like it's mid-December or anything. Except that it was.

Needless to say, the game ended pretty quick. Even though both teams had relatively bad players, Slytherin had the advantage of having  Albus and Malfoy- notably part of the best players in the school. The two boys easily dominated the game as soon as it started. While one scored goals left and right and the other caught an easy one hundred and eighty points, the match was over within five minutes.