5th Year: The Library

For the past week, Jacob had steered clear of all the Weasleys-Potters. Rose had told Dom what happened, who told Lily, who told James, who told Fred, who told Albus, who told Malfoy. Whatever James, Fred, Dom, Lily and Albus did to the bloke was unknown, but it worked. He didn't dare to look their way, and he sat as far away as possible from them in any classes they shared. That was last week. And now he was determined to win her back.

"Rose, please! You know we are meant together."

She sighed and put her quill down. "Will you please keep it quiet? I don't want to be kicked out of the library."

The truth is that she wasn't mad at him for cheating on her. She was, however, annoyed- for he was preventing her from being able to concentrate her charms essay. He mistook her attitude for 'I want to get back with you', when really it was 'I do not give a dragon dung about you.'

"Rose, I'll do anything. I love you and I know you love me too. It was one mistake and-"

"Jacob enough. I don't like you. Not anymore."

He took hold of her hand and stepped closer. "Yes you do. I understand that you're mad about what you saw but I promise it will never happen again. We can go back to being the happy, love-at-first-sight couple we were." He pleaded.

She retracted her hands from his and finally looked up from her paper. "I'm not upset. Look, if you really want-" She sighed and thought about it. "-we can still be friends."

His eyes lit up and Rose looked at him sternly.

"But just friends. Nothing more. I'm not ready for a relationship."

He shook his head eagerly. "Of course. Just friends." But the look in his eyes said something different.

"Get out of my seat Mclacking."

Rose's head snapped up at the cool drawl. What was he doing here? It's not like they had any projects to complete.

"I'm in the middle of talking to Rose." He glared up at Malfoy.

"Fascinating. Now get out before I make you."

"Jacob please. We can continue this later."

Jacob's eyes flickered between them, bewildered by her statement. His hands clenched at the thought of Malfoy being alone with her but reluctantly got up. They were friends. He still had a chance.

He got and made sure to push past Malfoy on his way out.

"Really Weasley? Mclacking?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but I'm not going back to him. We're strictly just friends."

He slid into the chair across her and pulled out his potions paper. "That's not what he thinks."

Was it just her or did he look annoyed? No, that can't be. Why would he care about who she hangs out with?

"Why are you here? Come to torment me once again?"

He smirked and began to scribble something onto his paper. "Isn't it obvious. I'm doing the essay for our wolfsbane potion. Where's yours?"

She put her elbow on the table and rested the side of her face on her hand. "I already turned it in. You didn't finish yours yet?"

The corner of his mouth tugged up and he shook his head. "Of course you did." He muttered.

"If you came here for some tutoring, you could have just said that Malfoy." She teased with a smug smile. 

"Oh dear, thank Merlin. Weasley is going to teach me all about potions." He drawled sarcastically. "Tell me again, who's top of our class right now?"

"Yeah, whatever..." She trailed off. She wanted to come up with a remark but she found herself lost in his features. He looked bored as he scribbled down on his parchment. His lips were slightly parted and his platinum-blonde hair was faintly ruffled up. A lock of his hair fell into his eyes and she felt the sudden urge to move it away. His dark green tie was loosened around his neck, laying on his white button up with his black robe slumped over his shoulder.

"What?"

Oh no. Was she staring? No, of course not. Why would she be looking at Malfoy? That's insane...

"Nothing." She murmured. She quickly grabbed the charms book next to her, pretending to read it while inwardly cursing herself.

"Whatcha reading?" He didn't really seem interested in what she was reading but he was looking at her curiously.

"None of your business." She blurted.

He smirked and went back to his essay. "Well whatever you're reading, it's upside down."

She felt her face heat up and was glad the book was hiding her face. Choosing to ignore him, she continued her charms essay. Neither of them said a word, and for that she was grateful. She got to finish her essay in peace, contrary to when she was sitting with Jacob. Occasionally she looked at him to find that he was already looking at her. Whenever she would give him a questioning look in response, he would just shrug it off and go back to writing. She didn't think much of it and did the same.

After a while, she finished her essay. She could leave now. I mean, there was nothing else to do here. She had completed all of her assignments and finished reading all of the books her mother had sent over. But for some reason, she didn't want to leave. It was nice here. She looked over at the boy sitting across her and thought back to the numerous times in third and fourth year when he had sought out to antagonize her. Granted, yes he still took every chance he got to annoy her but something just seemed different. He was more bearable? Or maybe she was just used to his antics. Whatever it was, it had gotten them to the point where they could sit in a comfortable silence together while doing their work- something she would have never imagined in a million years.

He scooted back from the table and glimpsed at the clock above. Shoving his papers into his bag, he stood up and began to walk away.

"Where are you going?" She called out before she could stop herself.

"I've got quidditch practice. Al would have my head if I was late again." He responded without looking back at her. He stopped just before the door flashed her a brief smile before leaving.

Rose couldn't help the surge of disappointment that ran through her but when he turned back and smiled, everything in her mind went blank. Her heart fluttered just a bit- and just for a moment, she sat there, staring at the closed doors and waiting for a certain blonde boy to walk back in.

Why? Well she was wondering just the same thing. 

♥️♥️♥️

This was a shorter chapter but I hope you still liked it! Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment what you think, vote, share, and follow =)