Chapter 20

After school I got home as quickly as possible so I could get ready for tonight. When I got to my room I shut the blinds and put my clothes out on the bed. The clock read that it was only three thirty, I had hours before Luke came over. I couldn't get ready now. I looked around my room, thinking of all the things I could do while I waited. I decided to do the only thing I felt like doing. I picked up my phone, which I had just tossed on the bed and dialed my last call.

"Hey Ellie." Michael's sounded very chirpy. "What's up? I did't think you would call me at all today, considering you have a date with Luke."

"I just realized that I have a lot of time left to kill. I didn't know what to do so I called you." I sat down on my bed, crossing my legs. I looked at my closed blinds, wondering what Luke was doing.

"Well I'm glad I was the first distraction." By the tone of his voice I could tell he was smiling. "Did he ever tell you where he's taking you?"

"No." I rolled my eyes. I hated surprises and not having a single idea as to where we were going. "I tried so hard to pry it out of him. Nothing worked."

"Well you only have a couple more hours to freak out." He laughed from the other end. "Look I have to go study. I'll see you tomorrow and have fun tonight."

"Okay." I said smiling. "Thanks Michael."

"No problem. Bye Ellie." I heard his end of the line go dead and turned off my phone. I got up off of my bed and proceeded to my bathroom. I turned on the shower and waited for it to get warm. In the meantime I got out my blow dryer and makeup for afterwards. Once I felt the water it was warm enough. I stripped off what I had worn and got in.

I got out and started to get ready. I put on a black and white striped dress with ankle boots to match. I figured it was casual enough. After that I started to work on my makeup, applying a little mascara and eyeliner. After that I took a blow dryer to my wet hair. I looked at the clock and it was only five o clock. I had two hours before Luke said he would come over.

I pondered my next move for a minute, thinking if I really wanted to do it. I walked out of my bathroom and started to dial Luke's number.

"Hey Ellie." I heard his voice after three rings. "What's up? Couldn't wait to hear my voice huh?"

"Actually yes." I immediately regretted the words that came out of my mouth. "I mean that I'm ready and I don't know what to do. Can you just come over now?" There was a moment of silence before he said anything.

"Yea I'm ready. I can come over now. I'll see you in a minute." He hung up. Pleased with the response I got I grabbed my purse and went to wait downstairs.

Luckily for me I didn't have to wait long. When I got downstairs the doorbell rang and Luke stood on the other side when I opened the door. "I told you casual!" He exclaimed, looking me over from head to toe. I looked at his gray shirt, which had Brooklyn written across it twice, and his typical black skinny jeans, tied together with black Converse. "You're going to make me look stupid."

"I think you'll be fine." I smiled. He took my hand and led me off of the porch.  "So where are we going?"

"Stop asking that question and just wait." He sounded so smug. We both got in his car and headed to wherever he was taking me.

I watched every turn and realized where we were going. "Jeez, Luke, you're so cheesy."

"It serves a purpose." He chuckled, pulling into a empty space at the park. He turned off the car and we both got out. "Come on." He took my hand and led me around the park, walking aimlessly around. Finally we walked up a small hill where there was a blanket spread across the ground.