Part 36

After few hours of passionate love-making, Lia and Blake lie in bed, coming down from their high. They've missed each other way too much to pass on the chance to be close again. It's been a while since they were alone.

"You know... I've noticed that your arms light up occasionally when you're excited." Blake comments as he traces his finger over Lia's arm. She's been lying on his chest for a while now, too tired to move.

"I didn't burn you, did I?" The girl asks worriedly, rising a little to look in her man's eyes.

"Of course not. Your fire doesn't hurt me. - Blake smiles warmly - But it looks interesting. Almost like an 'extremis' from Iron Man 3, you know, the Mandarin. It won't be long before you start breathing fire, babe." He teases, getting an exasperated sigh from Lia.

"Not a chance. I don't think it works like that."

"What do you mean?"

"I've been trying to understand how this whole thing works and I've come to conclusion that it's not 'fire' that was Thalia's gift. It's heat."

"Again... what do you mean?" Blake implores curiously, sitting up against the headboard with his naked fiancée comfortably resting in his lap.

"I tried to burn various things in my dream. Trees, houses, grass, paper, and even steel. I discovered that I can make anything show up in my dreams so I decided to make use of it." Lia reveals, holding onto Blake's hand gently and playing with his fingers.

"And what did you learn?"

"Everything flammable burns. But steel and other metals only melt. Which means that the power is about heating things up to the point of making them catch fire. The same goes for my arms. As I was fighting against Thalia in my dream, I noticed that she could heat up her arms and legs and make things burn by touching them. She also could make a ring of fire on the ground by stomping her foot. I'll have to try that..." Lia explains calmly, getting a soft smile from her man. She's really trying to understand it all.

"And here I thought you'd simply accept your new gift and use it for the greater good. But it seems like my kitten is too much of a nerd to pass on the chance to learn. You're even trying to understand magic!" Blake chuckles, making his chest shake slightly under Lia's head.

"Oh please. If I'm supposed to use my newly acquired power, I need to know what it does. And now, the only thing I understand fully is Thalia's fire."

"And your lightning?"

"That's easy. I get pissed off, I glare at someone and a lightning strikes them. If I concentrate hard enough I can even control how strong it'll be."

"So you're like Thor and the Mandarin at the same time, huh? Nice..." Blake smirks widely, twirling a strand of his girl's grey hair around his finger.

"Stop it! - Lia laughs, poking his chest playfully - I'm not like that. I'm not a god of thunder or a villain in a superhero movie... I'm just me."

"You're a witch, kitten. That's way more interesting than some boring superhero. Just think about it, you can heal people, you can manipulate matter and change your surroundings, you can strike people with lightning and you can burn things by just looking at them. By the way, why does it all come from your eyes?" Blake implores curiously.

"Oh, that's because the power comes from the soul. And eyes are the window of the soul."

"Is that so? - Blake smirks mischievously - Then where's the door?" He asks, making Lia laugh heartily before she moves to straddle his waist.