Part 44

"I told you it wasn't gonna work. Blake is not an idiot."
Lia listens attentively to everything being said as Warren argues with his wife. Neither Sheila nor Warren knows she's planted a bug in Sheila's purse back at Jen's. Thankfully, the bitch was too distracted arguing with Blake to notice her sneaky move. As soon as Lia and Blake came back from the clubhouse, the girl plugged in the transmitter from the bug and started listening to what's going on with Sheila. She hoped they'd start talking about what happened either on their way home or when they reach it. And she wasn't wrong.

"It'll work. We just have to talk to Blake alone without that bitch with him. She's bad influence, you know it. He'd agree if she wasn't there." Sheila says, sounding absolutely aggravated.

"How is it going? Did it work?" Blake asks, bringing Lia her coffee. She told him she's planted a bug on Sheila. He wasn't surprised. His girl is incredibly smart.

"It's working. - Lia grins, taking out the headphones and letting Blake hear what his aunt is saying - She's complaining that it's because of me that you're reluctant to hand the company over to them."

"What? That's ridiculous." Blake scoffs, taking his seat on the couch behind Lia, with his legs on either side of her and his arms around her small waist.

"I know." The girl shrugs.

"What if we approached him alone? He's bound to give in at some point." Sheila declares, sounding awfully sure of herself.

"He won't, Sheila. I could tell by how he reacted that he won't."

"We have to get the company! We don't have time to waste!!!" Sheila screams loudly.

"And whose fault is that?! I told you to not get that loan!" Warren yells furiously.

"I had to! And it's your fault!"

"How is it my fault you spent so much money on useless shit?!"

"You're the one who lost his job and didn't tell me!" Sheila shrieks in fury, making Blake wince from the shrillness of his aunt's voice. His sensitive hearing is really suffering right now.

"Warren lost his job? - Blake wonders out loud - I had no idea..."

"When was I supposed to tell you when you were always out?! You were never there when I wanted to talk, and when you were, you only told me to pay off your credit card then went out again! You're the one who got us in this mess, Sheila, not me! I'm not the one who spends money so recklessly! You messed up, so you will deal with it! I'm with Blake on this one, you shouldn't get the company. You'd sell it in a second just so you could get money for a new handbag." Warren snarls angrily before a loud slam is heard. He must've left the house.

"Holy shit. - Lia breathes out, quickly putting two and two together - Sheila got a loan to pay off her debt and instead used it for fucking shopping... How stupid is this woman?!" She scoffs incredulously.

"I wonder how much she owes... She's asked my mom for money quite a few times. And they weren't small sums. Mom has lent her over fifty grand in total, yet she still wasted it instead of paying off her debt. Unbelievable." Blake shakes his head with a heavy sigh, leaning his chin on Lia's shoulder.

"Some people are just incorrigible. But I reckon she owes a lot if she wants the company. This is big, Blake. We have to nip it in the bud before she causes trouble."

"I know. When is Cole coming tomorrow?" Blake implores.

"He said he can be here by ten."

"Hmm... If he agrees to take the company, we'd need a lawyer..."