Part 15

Lia

I can't help but frown in confusion as Lorenzo rummages through his desk before setting a big black box on it. After I came back from talking to Ivy, he invited us to his study, saying there's something he needs to talk to us about. "What is this?" I question suspiciously.

"I need to know you can keep Ivy safe during her heat. I'm not sure I'll be able to stay sane, and if I snap, I trust you to stop me from doing something to my mate." Lorenzo explains.

"Can you get to the point? What do you need?" Blake asks seriously, folding his arms over his chest.

"I need you to stop me from mating Ivy. At all cost." Cakey and I exchange surprised looks, utterly shocked by the request.

"And what if she wants you to?" I retort, arching my brow challengingly.

"Don't listen to her. She won't be herself during the heat and neither will I. I don't want to take advantage of her in her vulnerable state. I want her to be ready for this when she's thinking clearly and not blinded by heat. My instinct will push me to mate her and I'm not sure how long I will be able to fight it off." Lorenzo sighs heavily. I have to admit, he really earned my respect right now.

"That's why I got you this. - he continues, opening the box on his desk - Those guns are for you. If I spiral out of control, shoot me."

"With pleasure." I tease with a smirk, making Lorenzo chuckle quietly before he gets serious again.

"Lia, I mean it. The bullets for those guns are specifically designed tranquilizers that are strong enough to knock me out. One bullet is enough to put me to sleep for about an hour. But if I go feral, the effect won't last for that long."

Interesting. Special bullets for werewolves...

"How long does it take for this to work? I mean, I shoot you and then what?"

"It works instantaneously. They're designed that way. As soon as the bullet penetrates the skin and hits tissue, it breaks apart and releases condensed wolfsbane and silver into the bloodstream. It takes one heartbeat to spread it through the body. And due to my heart rate being over a hundred and fifty, it will take less than a second to paralyze me. But use it only as the last resort, please. My wolf won't like it if you keep hitting him with silver and it can make everything worse." Lorenzo explains seriously, getting short nods from Blake and me as we reach for our guns.

"Does it matter where I shoot you? I'd rather not kill you unintentionally." I implore, inspecting the gun closely. This really is an interesting weapon. I wonder who created it.

"It doesn't. - Lorenzo responds - You can't kill me no matter where you hit. But I'd rather you didn't shoot my head. I'm not sure of the effect those bullets might have." So it's not tested then.

"Then how do you know these will work?" Blake asks suspiciously.

"I tested them. But I've never shot myself in the head, since the side effects of brain damage are quite severe and long lasting." That makes sense.

"Okay then. You can count on us." I tell the man, getting a grateful smile in response. Damn he looks weird when he smiles.

"Thank you."

"No problem. Just don't hate me for shooting you." I smirk, tucking the gun into the waistband of my jeans.

"I won't and neither will my wolf. He's agreed with me on this, but once Ivy goes into heat, he'll be blinded by the need to complete the bond." Lorenzo explains, making me scowl slightly. I'm not sure how I feel about hearing him talk about the whole 'completing the bond'. "Don't mind it though, you'll be fine. It's Blake that should be worried."