My Star

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Random Song Recommendation: Do Bol OST. I think that song kind of fits this story.

****

Tara

I wanted to cry as we were going back home. Who wants to leave a peaceful, carefree live behind?

On the other hand, I was about to go to my in-laws' house in London for the first time...well, the first time as their daughter-in-law. Previously, I had visited with my family as the daughter of Uncle's friend, and after our marriage in Lahore, we had gone on our Friendventure directly.

It was a long flight from Bangkok to London, and that was after a short-haul flight on a low-cost carrier.

Needless to say, I slept most of the way on the flight, only waking up to eat.

After the kiss, we had busied ourselves in enjoying the trip so much that by the end of each day, we freshened up, crashed into bed and fell asleep immediately, avoiding any awkwardness.

"Tara?" 

I woke up with a start. I had fallen asleep on the car from the airport to the house as well, as Talha Bhai drove us back. "Hmm?"

"We're home." 

Home.

For me, home in London always meant by parents' cute and modest house. For the Iftikhar family, it meant something else. We pulled up outside a red-bricked home with gorgeous French windows, and two white pillars flanking the beautifully polished black front doors. It was the time of house me and my sisters used to look at wide-eyed, whenever Dad drove us through the wealthier areas of London.

We'd barely gotten out of the car, when the front door opened and my mother-in-law stepped out. She was a modern woman, with a stylish bob cut, and a chic western outfit. Today she wore black formal trousers and a dark blue double-layered shirt, along with black high-heel shoes. I'd, of course seen her in this dress up before marriage, but it was still unexpected to see my Saas dressed that way, after all the years of stereotypical mothers-in-law that I had seen on TV.

"Assalam Alaikum!" Zain, Talha Bhai and I greeted her in unison.

"Walaikum Assalam!" She widely held out her arms and hugged Zain, and then me. "Welcome to your new home, Tara."

"Thank you, Aunty." 

"How was your honeymoon?" She looked at me, then at Zain and then back.

"It was a unique experience." Zain smiled at me.

"I'm sorry if he bored you, Bhabi." Talha Bhai told me. "He's a very boring person, I know." He laughed as Zain punched him playfully in the arm.

"Zain, you go and get freshened up. I'll give Tara the tour of the house, after which she'll join you." Aunty told her son.

Zain and Bhai walked inside with the luggage. 

"Look, Tara. Life here would be pretty simple." Aunty said as we headed into the house slowly. "The only duties you will have here are towards Zain, or occasionally cooking a dish. We have staff here who take care of everything in general, but once or twice a week, I prefer if one of us makes a dish for the family. Lamisa cooks every day, because it's her passion, and she took special cooking and baking courses before marriage, but that's her choice to do so." She stopped in the hallway, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Your duty, as I said, is only towards Zain, as he has a duty towards you."