Lifeline

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Whoever says 'Mum or Dad', they are referring to Zain and Talha's parents.

'Mama & Papa' are the sisters' parents.

I think someone was getting confused in the last chapter, so I wanted to clarify. :D

****

Zoha

I had been reassured around a million times that my baby was fine, which I was really grateful for, of course. 

But nobody was telling me anything about Talha's condition. Nobody was telling me how he was or where he was. I wasn't even allowed to see my family right now.

"How is Talha?" I asked a nurse, again.

"When the doctor comes back, you can ask him." The nurse replied. "I'm not allowed to give out any information."

"He's my husband!" I cried out in disbelief.

"I'm sorry, Mrs Talha. I'm just following the rules." She gave me a sympathetic look before leaving the room.

"Koi mujhe kuch batata kyun nahin hai?" I cried out to myself in despair. 

*"Why doesn't anyone tell me anything?" 

I was silently crying, when a young woman in her late twenties entered the room, a doctor. She was in hospital scrubs, with a stethoscope around her neck.

"You okay?" She stared at me, wide eyed. Her dark, almost black, hair was up in a neat bun, and if I wasn't wrong, she seemed like she was from a desi background.

"Can you help me, please?" I asked. "I want to know how my husband is! I'm freaking out!" 

"Okay, first things first." She held up her hands, as if in surrender, using a soothing doctor voice. "I'm asking this as a medical professional, but are you pregnant?" She glanced towards my stomach.

I nodded.

"Well, then it's very important that you remain calm, okay?" She said. "My name is Dr Iman, and you can talk to me." 

"My husband and I were involved in a car accident." I took a deep breath before I started to explain. "The doctor reassured me that the baby was fine, but nobody is telling me how Talha is! His full name is Talha Iftikhar. Can you please find out for me?" 

"Don't worry. I'll see what I can find out." She gave me a reassuring smile.

"Also, I would really like to see someone from my family." 

She nodded. "Don't worry. I'll go and see. Just remember, you need to think of one more life right now, so please try and remain calm, okay?" 

"I'll try my best." 

She left and I stared up at the ceiling, blankly. "Ya Allah, I barely just found my true happiness. Please don't take Talha away from me, I beg you." 

A few moments later, the door opened and Mama walked in.

"Mama!" I burst into tears as I saw my mother, the way some of my students did whenever they see their parents come to collect them after school. The relief I felt at seeing my mother was the relief a small child feels at seeing their parent after hours apart from them. 

"Zoha, my baby." With tears in her eyes, she rushed over to my side. Running a hand over my head, she blew supplications over me.

"How's Talha?"