Vulnerable

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Zain

"Her brain had been deprived of oxygen for a little too long, which is why she has still not regained consciousness." The doctor told me.

We were outside the private ward where Tara was being looked at, and I had practically being pulling my hair out with worry as I'd waited for the doctor to come out.

"Will she be okay?" I asked, fearing the answer.

"She may be suffering from trauma, quite possibly." He said. "However, we won't be truly able to tell how this incident has affected her until she's up."

Lamisa Bhabi had heard Tara scream my name and had looked out of the window to see her falling into the pool. Bhabi had ended up pulling her out, but didn't know how to perform CPR. Allah saved Tara because the paramedics had managed to reach on time, after Bhabi had called 999 freaking out.

Tara feared drowning, and she almost drowned today.

I wish I had been there.

After the doctor excused himself, I paced the area, running my hands through my hair. Ya Allah, please let Tara be okay.

"Zain?" Bhai walked towards me, holding a bottle of water. "Drink up."

Just looking at water made me feel sick after the incident with Tara. "I don't want to..."

"Come on, drink up. We don't want you collapsing and ending up in the hospital as well, do we?" He tried to keep his tone light-hearted, but wasn't very successful.

I looked at him. "Drop the act, Bhai."

"Excuse me?" He looked confused.

"After what you and Bhabi did, I really don't need sympathy from you." I don't know why I snapped, but I just couldn't hold it in any longer. "Bhabi just saved my wife's life, and so I can't say anything against her, but you, you hurt your own parents, so drop this fake concern for me and my wife."

"Zain, I don't think I did anything unfair." He spoke quietly. "They weren't going to live here anyway, and you and Tara didn't need that huge home."

"It's not about the size!" My voice rose. "Even if it was a one-bedroom hut, it would still be valuable because Dad worked hard for it!"

He looked like he was trying to calm himself down.

"I really don't want to discuss this when Tara's fighting for her life." I glared at him. "It's best if you just leave, please."

"Zain..."

"Bhai, please. For my sanity's sake, just go!"

I'd never spoken to him like that. He'd always been the big brother who I'd hidden behind to get out of trouble from my parents. He had defended me, even when I made mistakes. He had always stood up for me, and now I was speaking to him like that.

But our parents had left for Lahore devastated, and the worry for Tara was getting to me as well.

Bhai set the bottle of water down on the plastic chair nearby. "Drink this. For Tara's sake, if nobody else's." He then shoved his hands in the pockets of his light jacket and headed out.