Rumours

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Tara

Chipkali. Macchar..

*Lizard. Fly.

I glared at Tahir who looked unfazed. Whenever I visited Pakistan, I often noticed lizards on the wall. They're just there, seemingly doing nothing, just stuck on there like with glue or something. Tahir reminded me of that; just stuck there and staring. And he was also like a fly in the summer months, buzzing and never going away.

What does he want from me?

Ignoring him after the glare, I got into the Uber, and headed home. I was too tired to take the public transport today. 

Being home was a relief. I showered first and then changed into some comfy clothes before heading down for dinner with my parents-in-law.

"Isn't Zain going to join us?" Aunty asked me as we took our seats.

"No, Aunty. After work he went to the gym, and then he had to go back to the office again. He said that he'll be late." I informed her.

"My poor boy has gotten extra pressure since Talha left." 

"He's twenty-eight, Arzoo, not eight." Uncle looked amused. "Alhumdulillah and Ma Sha Allah, both our sons are very responsible when it comes to work." 

"Alhumdulillah." Aunty nodded.

We ate in silence for a while. Today it was roast chicken with boiled vegetables, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. A very British meal. Usually I preferred either desi meals or fast food, but this meal was absolutely delicious. 

"Tara, I have invited your family over for dinner tomorrow." Aunty announced. "It should have been done much earlier, but we didn't get a chance. I even asked Jamila Bhabi to invite Zoha and her husband."

My eyes widened in excitement. "Really?!" 

"I know that things are a little tense between our families right now." She said. "And I really hope we can fix this." 

I smiled reassuringly at her. "Aunty, Uncle, I would like to assure the both of you that Zain had been completely honest with me since before we even got married. I chose to marry him because I felt that he was honest about wanting to change, and he has changed. He is someone to be proud of, Ma Sha Allah, and Mama and Papa will eventually realise that." 

I actually meant those words. Judging by the look on the faces of Zain's parents, I could tell that they were really pleased by the good words regarding their son.

"This sort of sensible and mature behaviour will take you far in life, In Sha Allah." Aunty told me. "May Allah always bless you and Zain with a long lifetime of good health and happiness. Ameen."

"Ameen." Uncle repeated, nodding.

****

I fell asleep before Zain returned, and when I woke up in the middle of the night, I was still alone in our bedroom, with no sign of him.

I reached for my phone and glanced at the time, squinting in the sudden bright light. 01:53. Sitting up, I dialled Shohar Ji's number.

"Assalam Alaikum, Tara." He answered, sounding like he was in the car. "I'm almost home, don't worry."

"Walaikum Assalam. It's almost two, Zain! You could have at least left me a message." 

"I spoke to Mum earlier when she called me and I asked her to let you know. But she said that she knocked on our door, but you didn't reply."