For All Eternity and More...

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Tara

A few days later, I watched Zoha change Zara's nappy. Although, I was slowly getting used to changing nappies, despite my initial gagging, every time I got an offer, I happily accepted it.

Zoha was already a natural, and the way she was softly speaking to Zara as she changed her, it almost seemed like Zoha was her mother. 

But, I suppose, this is why a Khalla was the closest thing to a baby's mother, after the actual mother. The bonding Zara already had with her Khallas, but especially with Zoha, was admirable. Ma Sha Allah.

Today, both families were gathered for dinner at my parents' home, and as our mothers made the last minute dinner arrangements in the kitchen, Zoha and I had brought Zara upstairs, while Misha helped downstairs. We were now waiting for Zain and Talha Bhai to come from their respective workplaces. 

"So...what are you and Bhai having? A boy? A girl?" I asked, curiously.

Apparently, they were meant to find out this week, and I was excited to know. 

"You'll have to wait until we get the nursery ready." Zoha grinned. "And then we'll surprise you all, In Sha Allah." 

"Aww, come on, sis." I pouted. "Please tell me! Understand this Khalla's love for her nephew or niece." 

"Patience." She simply replied, as she finished changing my daughter. "Tara, put on her outfit while I go and wash my hands and dispose of the nappy." 

I walked over and began to put the white bodysuit on Zara, before pulling on the warm yellow onesie that read 'Grandma's Little Sunshine' on the front. And, no doubt, Zara Zain, was both her grandmothers' little sunshine. Both set of parents adored her to no end, as did Zoha, Misha and Talha Bhai. 

And I know that I would adore Zoha's baby just as much, In Sha Allah. In fact, I already adored him or her. 

I'd already expected Zoha to be an amazing Khalla, but Misha was surprising. She was so overprotective of Zara, and she was willing to stay up long into the night (if Zain wasn't staying over) to look after Zara, while I slept. Meesh only woke me up when Zara needed to be fed, but otherwise, my younger sister was handling her Khalla duties perfectly.

Zara blinked up at me and I felt my heart overwhelm with love for this precious little life. My baby girl, my angel. 

"Come on, baby. Nano and Dado are waiting eagerly." I picked her up and kissed her forehead. Carefully, I wrapped her in her blanket. "Zoha, I'm taking Zara downstairs." 

"Okay, I just need to pray Maghrib, and I will meet you downstairs." 

I headed down, protectively holding my baby girl. I get nervous while carrying Zara on the stairs. Each time I take her up or down the stairs, I worry that she'll slip from my grip. Zara, meanwhile, seemed to love the trip up or down the stairs, as whenever she's awake, she's staring wide-eyed in wonder, especially towards the skylight on the roof, just above our stairs. "Does Zara like the  light?" I whispered to her. 

As I got downstairs, the doorbell rang.

"Is Papa here?" I asked my daughter. "Or is it Taya Jaan?" I walked over to the door and opened it. "Assalam Alaikum!" I smiled up at my husband, who had droplets of water on him as it was drizzling. One drop fell down from a lock of his hair and onto his cheek. 

"Walaikum Assalam!" His gaze automatically went to Zara. "Arey! Zara aayi hai Papa ko receive karne?

*"Oh! Zara has come to receive Papa?"