Things Are Falling Apart

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

***

Tara

Mama smacked my hand away. "Do not touch, Tara!" She gave me a warning glare.

I gave her a sheepish smile. "Please, Mama. I haven't visited you at the bakery in a long time, so can I not get at least one chocolate chip muffin?"

I stood behind the counter with her, and she had just finished serving a customer. Of course, because she was a mother, she had known that I was trying to sneakily eat a muffin, even though she wasn't looking in my direction.

"Zoha hasn't visited for a long time either, but look at her." Mama nodded towards the table where Zoha and Misha were sitting, chatting.

"It is wrong and unfair to compare each individual." I sighed. "And you would never have refused her if she'd asked. All the unfairness is reserved for me."

"Apni dramay baazian kahin aur jaake maaro. Maa ke samne karne ka koi faida nahin hai."

*"Go and be dramatic somewhere else. Your dramas are pointless in front of your mother."

"Fact." I muttered in agreement. Then a cheeky idea occurred to me. "Okay, at least pack one for Zain."

She raised an eyebrow. "Zain bechray ko to ek crumb nahin mile ga, agar maine tumhare haath bhijwa diya."

*"Poor Zain won't even get a crumb if I send it through you."

"The only part true about that statement is about Zain not getting a crumb. But since when is he a 'bechara'?" I asked.

"Since he married you!" Misha called out.

"Shut up or I'll cut your hair when you're asleep tonight." I threatened her.

Zain was working late tonight, so I'd decided to stay at my parents' house. As it was a school holiday period, Papa was on holiday as well, so he had decided to go to Lahore, and had flown out a couple of days earlier.

"You wouldn't dare!" Misha frowned at me.

"Are you challenging me?" I raised my eyebrow at her. "I'm the same Tara who released two fairly large spiders in your bed when you were twelve." 

Followed by an hour of yelling by Mama, and two months of being grounded. 

"Mama!" Misha whined.

"Misha, stop whining like you're five." Mama sighed. "And Tara, don't be yourself for once." 

"In other words, behave like a human." Misha grinned.

"Say your goodbye to your hair now." I glared at her.

Misha put her hands over her hijab-covered hair protectively. "Churail." 

*Churail: witch.

"Misha!" Mama glared at her. 

The door opened, bringing a cool breeze from the outside and I was surprised to see Zain walk in. "Assalam Alaikum."

"Walaikum Assalam!" We all greeted him.

"What are you doing here?" I wrinkled my nose at him in confusion, earning a light slap on the arm from Mama.