Making New Memories

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Zain

Her hair in a straight bob-cut, with golden streaks, and wearing a black sweater dress with black tights and high heel ankle boots, Sana Faisal had a glow of happiness radiating from her.

She looked around the restaurant and suddenly, our gazes met.

F**k.

I was out with Amir, Hamza and Faiz, along with other friends, celebrating the birth of my daughter, Zara. 

Amir noticed the direction of my gaze and followed it. "Oh boy. Zain, ignore and look away." 

But even if I had done as Amir had asked, Sana didn't. She made her way over to me and stood beside our table, causing everyone to shut up and look at her, bewildered. "Hey, Zain."

"Sana." I dropped my gaze. A long time ago, I would have found it extremely difficult to tear my eyes away from her, because I had considered her the love of my life, and therefore it seemed almost as if it was my right to look at her. I now knew how wrong I was.

I would never want a non-mehram to behave with Zara in the future the way I had with Sana in my past. But even before that, I'd realised how wrong I was when I had married Tara and had started to appreciate the importance of a halal relationship.

"Zain, can I just talk to you for a few minutes?" Sana asked.

"Sana, I don't think it's a good idea." I shook my head. 

"Just a few minutes." She insisted. 

I looked at Amir, who shook his head, before turning back to Sana. "Inside the restaurant, within sight of my friends." 

"Sure." She shrugged.

We got up and walked towards the other side of the restaurant, and she turned to face me. "You're still the same as ever." She gave me a small smile.

"What do you want, Sana?" I crossed my arms over my chest, impatiently.

"Dad passed away in August last year." She said.

"Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un." I said. "I'm sorry to hear that."

*As a reminder, this is said when hearing about someone's death.

"I sold the gambling business after that and used the money to start up my own boutiques. You know how I've always loved fashion designing, so that's what I'm doing." She told me. "I'm not religious, but I definitely understand why you were so against gambling now. My own father lost millions while gambling himself, and even though he could afford to do so, I don't think he appreciated hard work as much as I am starting to appreciate it."

"Good for you. Congratulations." I genuinely meant it.

"So, how are things with you?" She asked, tilting her head slightly to the left, as she waited to hear my reply.

"Well, I'm happily married to Tara, Alhumdulillah. And we have a daughter now." 

"Oh, wow! Congratulations!" Her smile and words were absolutely genuine. "I'm glad that you're happy, Zain." 

"And I'm glad that you're doing something that you have loved for a long time. I know how passionate you were about fashion designing." 

"Well, it was good to catch up with you. I'll let you get back to your friends." Her eyes briefly wandered over to the table where my friends were sat, before returning back to me. "I wish you nothing but the best, Zain."