44

I rolled over, eyes sealed shut, blindly following his scent to the pillow, sliding my hand over the smooth sheets.... slowly coming to, waking- to the empty bed. That's right. He was gone. He had been gone for weeks now but was so vivid every night in my dreams.

I flopped onto my back, staring up at the ceiling. In a few hours I'd be on a plane to Cali and in a few days he'd back in my arms. Hopefully not still pissed about last week.*

There was a knock, the pounding rattling my walls. Luca. Shit. I smacked my arm to the table, flipping the phone, fuck I was late! I jumped up, racing to the front before he woke up the entire goddamn floor.

"Chill!" I threw the door open, Luca pushed his way in, immediately laughing to himself.

"Good to see I'm still the king of this fucking family."

"Che... what the fuck are you talking about now."

He walked right past me. "If you were dreaming about that Swedish chick from the bar last night- just know she woke up in my bed."

The... oh fuck... I looked down, my stiff and the pants tented around it stretching halfway across the room. "Fuck, I just woke up... and what the fuck's wrong with you." Comparing our dick's at nine in the morning- only Luca. I started back for my door, adjusting my pants as I disappeared into the bedroom. "Give me five to change."

"I talked to Suthers, strategy meeting in Jersey on my birthday, then we'll party there for the night."

"Sounds good!" I yelled back, finishing with my belt while kicking my feet into my shoes. "You really want to spend your birthday in Jersey?"

"It'll be fun fratello, Jersey chicks party hard." Luca met me at the front door, holding it open while I grabbed my bag.

"Whatever you want- it's your birthday." I locked the door behind us but he stopped, looking me over.

"You're in a better mood today, you've been an ass all week."

"I'm happy..." because I was about to get ass all week. "... Can't wait to see the twins."

"Yeah, I've been missing them too- she's got a perfect pair."

Fucking Luca. "Nora and Vinny, you know, your godchildren."

"Yeah, they're perfect too."

"You better get all that Sadie shit out of your system now... you know Gav.."

"Relax. I'm just fucking with you. I'm lying low this trip, no drama- just the babies, relaxing, mellow."

The driver was waiting on the curb, white gloves holding the door open for Luca before rushing to grab my bag and subsequently my door.

But in that instant my phone started buzzing, the M flashing across the screen- my thumb immediately stabbing the red 'x' to deny it. And just as quickly a message popped up: Urgent. Call me.

Shit. I wouldn't be away from Luca for the next seven hours. "Hey, I dropped something. Give me a second." I ignored his grumblings, taking off back up to the building, dialing and pushing the phone to my ear.

"Stefano!"
"What's going on?"
"I wanted to catch you before you left."
Nice. "I love you too."
"No... I mean yes I love you, but my sister's in labor. I'm leaving right now for NorCal. I won't be back in time to see you."
"What!"
"I know it's bad..."
Labor... "Why would she do this! She can't wait another week to have the baby! Did you tell her I was coming out?"
"I did, I told her it was bad timing for me and asked if she could stop the labor and keep her legs crossed for another week..."
"And what did she say?"
"That she's in labor and having the baby now."
"Fuck... then fly out when you get back- on a Friday. I can probably rearrange some shit and make it work."
"I can't. I already took this time off and I'm taking a week for Thanksgiving."
"Shit, I have back to back meetings, and Luca's birthday."
"We have Thanksgiving..."
"A month away!" Dammit, more time, more weeks apart. "We're heading to the airport now, text me when you get up there- that you made it okay." I dropped my phone back into my pocket, dragging myself to the car.