30

"You could have told me you're a Giamatti." My legs were still shaky, my heart racing, hands restless, fingers clenched over the door rest.

"We weren't talking business," he shrugged, rolling his face towards mine as the cab took off uptown. "Could have said you were a Romano."

"What are you doing up here? I don't have a meeting on the books."

"I came up to tell you that we're acquiring Prentis, they'll be under our umbrella and I want your company to handle it. The paperwork's already in your office."

"Just so we're clear- I don't know Jersey, I stumbled into that bar on accident."

"Ahhh...." He cracked a smile. "So you do remember me, you're just a suit still hanging in the closet."

He was smiling, about to laugh. "This is not a fucking joke!" First Mark at my side and now him talking about how we met at a bar. Jesus Christ- if Luca and the guys heard I was at a gay bar.

He tsked, rolling his face back towards the front. "You think you're the first suit to stumble into that bar, swear it was an accident, only to end up in the bathroom with his pants down. You'd be surprised Stefano. New Yorkers are notorious for it. Hell I did it a time or two back in the day."

"That's not what I was doing!" I wasn't there for a cheap fucking thrill, I just...

"So they don't know?" He nodded to the cab ahead of us.

"It's no one's fucking business."

"So that's a no. And Luca is your brother?"

I looked at the cab ahead of us. "Uh huh..."

"You should be fine then." He looked back over, cracking another smile. "He's dense, too much of a meathead for his own good. I think your secret's safe," he laughed. "I asked to cruise towards Broadway and he applauded me for my good taste- wanting to fuck an actress."

He was still smiling, playing this off- not realizing how fucking detrimental this would be to my job, our company, my famiglia. "I never went to that bar, understand? No comments, no jokes, no questions, nothing."

His eyes narrowed, smile tight. "And what do I get in return for keeping that to myself?"

What the fuck... "Wrong question- ask me what happens if you run your fucking mouth!"

"Relax! Jeez. I don't care, no skin off my back. As long as your company is making money for mine," he huffed, smiling to himself. "Take it easy Stefano, you're acting like you killed a man, not just fucked one."

"Jesus Christ! That's the shit I'm talking about!"

"You remember I'm a client right?"

I didn't care who he was, he was a threat. "You remember who's making you money right?"

The cab stopped, pulling up right behind the other and Tony pushed his door open, meeting Luca and the gang.

I just needed to make sure that Tony forgot he met me and that Luca didn't have any questions about Mark. Then I would bail.

"You're already calling it a night?" Luca was trashed, chick on one knee, yet still searching for another.

"What time is it?" I patted my pants, trying to feel for my phone.

"Almost one," Tony laughed, scooting out of his seat next to mine. "I'm taking off, been fun guys. Hit me up if you're ever in Jersey."

One! Shit... "I've gotta go." I pushed back, chair skidding against the metal floor, and I grabbed my jacket, starting away with Tony.