49

"Christmas came early!" Luca burst through my office door, tossing a newspaper to my desk. "We're hosting the New Year's gig over at The Ritz."

"New Year's is in less than two weeks! When did this happen?"

"Look," he pointed to the headline on the front page. "Belchov got arrested, his company was forced to back out so they came to us."

"You accepted?"

"Hell yeah! All new meat, the guest list is all big money insurance."

"Shit, I was going out to Cali."

He shrugged, he didn't give a fuck. "We'll be in Cali in a few days for Christmas, we'll be back in time."

"No, fuck, I was going back for New Year's."

"We're hosting!" He was stern, this was it- bottom line. "You and I are the only fucking Romano's here. I need you closing."

Dammit! "You need to run this shit by me before you accept Luca."

"Run this by you?" He repeated, scoffing. "What the fuck- you're usually jumping at these things."

I did... before I started jumping something else. "Okay. I'll cancel San Diego."

"Good." He reached over, plucking the paper from my desk before charging right back out.

"Godammit!" I fell back in my chair, pulling my phone from my pocket and tossing it onto the desk. I'd been waiting for next week, waiting to have him again.

I smacked the phone, flipping it up and pressing it to my ear, the rings already singing.

"Hey!"
"I can't come out for New Year's."
"Why?"
"We're hosting a party at the Ritz here in the city."
"Yesss! Oh! That sounds amazing! I still have time to book a flight out there. I get back from my parents on the 27th and can..."
"What? No! You can't come!"
"What?"
"Luca and the guys will all be there, and they've already seen you- it's too much. Too suspicious."
"So, you want to spend New Year's apart?" His tone changed immediately, chirpy to pissy. "I don't want to, but it has to be that way. I mean, I guess you could come out and just wait at my place. I'd probably be home by three."
"Are you... you can't be... do you hear... you know what... I will stay here, and go out with my friends."
Go out with his friends- no. "On New Year's? No, you're not going out without me! I don't want you..."
"Exactly! You don't want me!"
"That's not what I was gonna say! Don't be like that."
"Don't be like that? Nah, I'm going to be like that! I leave tomorrow to go back up to my parents. I will spend Christmas without you, then New Years without you!"
"Mark! I'm barely keeping my shit together! I miss you so fucking much I can't do shit around here and I've got a mental fucking countdown eating me alive! Please, it's almost time. I'm telling them in weeks. Don't be pissed at me baby."
"I'll see you for the twins birthday."
He hung up but my phone was already flying, chucked from my hand, smacking into the wall. Fuck!

I was tempted, really fucking tempted to tell them all at Christmas. It was getting too hard, that churning pain now radiating through me 24/7. It was one sentence, three words- I am gay. Three words that would change everything, that would break and make my future. Three fucking words.

I spun my chair, reaching down into my bag for my alt phone and pushing it right to my ear.

"Boss."
"I need that favor expedited."
"We hit a snag."
A snag? "What do you mean?"
"She's heavily guarded, tied down- out of our reach."
"I told you money was unlimited- whatever it takes! I need her!"
"She's west coast, protected by a bunch of shit, they don't care about money- she's on lockdown."

Dammit! Now that phone was flying through the air, smacking the wall and dropping right next to the other. Fuck. I had nothing. No Christmas gift, no get out of jail free card. "Fuck!" I slammed my chair back, ripping my briefcase from the floor, dumping my laptop into it before walking over to the phones and shoving them into the bag too. I had to get out of here.

What the hell was I supposed to get him for Christmas now? He only cared about his family, his... wait, shit. I dropped the bag, digging for the phone, tossing it to my ear as I hailed the cab driving by, hopping right into it.

"It's still a no boss."
"I need you to find out where a Wells, fuck um... Wells, Wells Roberts works, probably in Roseville California. Send me the number and address."
"Easy enough."
"Intel only, ASAP."

The text came in just minutes later and once again my phone was to my ear.

"This is..."
"Put me on with the owner or manager."
"Can I ask..."
"Nope."
"One second." There was crackling, muffled voices and finally another guys voice. "Hello?"
"Do you have Wells Roberts on the schedule for Christmas? Or Christmas Eve?"
"Why do you ask?"
"Is he?"
"He..." I heard paper's rattling, then keys clicking. "He is."
"I need him off both days, paid."
"That's in just a few days! I can't pay him to not work! We aren't...."
"I'll pay his wage for both days. He needs to be with his family. I will send over a check that will more than cover it."
"I have to find someone to cover his shift."
"On Christmas?" Shit, that meant someone else would miss their family. "How many people you got working those days?"
"Fifteen."
"How much revenue do you need to make in order to close it down? Give everyone Christmas Eve and Christmas off?"
"Three thousand each day."
"That's it? Done. My accountant will be calling you in twenty and wiring the money over, you'll need to sign a contract to verify the employees get the time off as stated."
"I didn't get your name. Who should I say did all this?"
"Stef... Just tell them you decided to give everyone the time off."
"Okay..."

I hung up, immediately pulling up my email. Mark wouldn't know I helped, but at least his sister's husband would be around, they'd all be together this holiday.

I shot off the email, dropping my face to the cold glass window, seeing... "Stop! Stop here!" I hit the door and the driver pulled over. "Wait for me." I jumped out, looking at the wild display windows. "Novelties and more." These stores were out of my wheelhouse but I had a hunch....

"Welcome!" Some lady clapped and waved. "Anything I can help you find?"

"Britney. Anything Britney." Jesus, the shit I found myself doing these days.

"We have a whole section!"

"Thought you would." I followed her back... seeing... "Holy shit is that Yankees gear?"

"You betcha..." She cheered.

"They're not... novelty... they're royalty."

I set them up on my table, snapping the shot and texting it to him, just like he always sent photos to me. Please, please fucking work...

And it did! My phone lit right up, my smile reflecting in the screen as his name flashed across it.

"Hey baby."
"What am I looking at Stefano?"
"Your Christmas present." I looked over at the two mugs, the Yankees logo on one and his chick on the other.
"You bought me a Britney coffee mug?"
"Yeah, you have a piece of your life in New York now."
He got silent. Shit. "I can buy you whatever else you want... I just..."
"It's perfect. I have a big piece of my life in New York. I miss you Stefano."
"I miss you too. I'll see you soon, don't be mad at me."
"I'm not, but you'll owe me a kiss!"
"Love you baby."
"You know... why don't you turn on the video and show me the mugs."
"I sent you a picture..."
"Just turn the video on papi."