t w e n t y o n e

I cleared off another table and the bell chimed above the door as another customer walked in. The breeze that blew in through the door caused me to shiver, I brought the dishes around the counter and into the back before heading back out. I stopped short when I saw Seb standing at the other side of the counter.

"Seb, hey. What are you doing here?"

"What? Do I have to have a reason to come into a bakery?" Seb countered furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"Well no, but it doesn't seem like your scene." I pointed and he let out a dry laugh but it was a laugh nevertheless, it was the first time I'd seen his mouth the opposite direction of a frown even if it was only for a second.

"It's the only place mom will eat this stupid gluten free cake from." Seb muttered back while running a hand over his hair.

"Stupid gluten free cake, hmm. That must be a new addition that grandma didn't tell me about." I spoke sarcastically causing Seb to roll his eyes but I only laughed at him.

"Your grandma owns this place?" Seb questioned and I nodded in return.

"Yeah I haven't been working here for long, I'm just trying to help her out when I can." I told him with a small smile.

"Can I get the gluten free lemon drizzle cake?"

"Sure, I'll box it for you." I leaned down under the counter to where all the fresh cakes, breads, muffins and cupcakes were on display.

I carefully pulled out the lemon drizzle cake making sure I had picked up the gluten free one, I turned around and placed it on the metal counter before reaching up to the shelf to grab a box. I unfolded the box placing the cake in the middle before folding the sides back up and securing the top with a sticker.

"That'll be ten dollars when you're ready." I mentioned while ringing the order into the system.

"Keep the change." Seb stated handing me a twenty dollar bill.

"Seb you don't have to-" I didn't get to finish because he was almost out the door, but he stopped short and turned to look at me.

"You owe me a smoke sometime." And with that he left walking out of my view.

Once my shift was over, I stopped by Kash's to see if Ian was still around. I didn't even know if he was working, luckily enough he was just putting on his jacket when I walked into the store. I didn't see Kash behind the counter so I only presumed he had been out the back with Ian.

"Damn, you're getting way more action than me." I teased although I knew I was lying through my teeth.

"Very funny, maybe it's because you have to wear that ridiculous uniform." Ian shot back with a smirk, I flipped him off before holding the door open for him as we left the store.

"How was the party after I left with Grace? Seemed like it wasn't going to end anytime soon." I claimed after we crossed the street.

"I should've just left with you then, Frank ended up getting drunk off his face and he fell into one of the speakers so that stopped the music for the night. There was also the fact that Lip and Karen were sucking each other's face for most of the night. So yeah I tried to get drunk but I knew Fiona would need help bringing Carl, Debbie and Liam home." Ian explained and I hid the hurt that appeared on my face at the mention of Lip and Karen.

Why did I get involved with someone so complicated?

"Oh god, I'm sorry I should've stayed longer but I didn't want to leave grandma at home alone all night." I apologised, Ian must have been so bored.