t w e n t y t h r e e

When I got to the L I only saw Seb standing alone with his hands in his pockets.

"Hey Seb, where is everyone else?" I asked curiously looking around but still only seeing him.

"Did Mia not text you? They've ditched us for some frat party on the north side." He answered leaning back against the metal pole behind him.

"You didn't want to go?

"Nah, a bunch of frat jocks shouting about fraternity bullshit. I've got Trevor's van though, want to find somewhere to smoke?" Seb suggested swinging the keys around his finger.

"Sure, beats freezing our asses off out here in the cold." I agreed, I followed him around the corner to see the white van parked on the curb.

I got into the passenger seat and Seb drove to the same empty parking lot where I had hung out with the group the last time. We got into the back of the van since it had pillows and blankets, Seb took out a packet of cigarettes but I stopped him before he opened it.

"I owe you remember." I simply stated tossing him a packet of cigarettes from my pocket.

"I was only kidding, but you've given them to me now..." Seb trailed off opening the pack and taking a cigarette out before offering me one.

Seb pulled a lighter from his own pocket and lit his cigarette first, I leaned forward with mine already in my mouth and he lit it. We both took a drag before exhaling the smoke into the air, I watched carefully blushing when he noticed I was staring at him.

"Can I ask you something?" I questioned, he didn't talk much but I was hoping it wasn't going to be complete silence the entire night.

"Yeah." He simply answered waiting for me to speak again.

"Why were you so grumpy the night I met you?" He seemed a bit caught off guard, I doubt very many people ever asked him about his mood.

"I don't really like new people, I've had trust issues ever since my dad left." Seb admitted and it surprised me a bit, I thought it was just a front he was putting on to seem tough.

"I have issues with trust too." I mumbled before taking another drag from the cigarette.

"Why?" Seb fired back, his tongue darted out to lick his lips.

"Shortly after I moved here, I hit this guy Jack at a party. He's one of the obnoxious jocks from school, well he apologised for man handling me at the party and then he offered to buy me coffee to clear things up. I didn't think much of it so I agreed, when we left the diner....he uh he pushed me into the alley beside it and he tried to rape me because everyone in school was saying how pathetic it was that a girl had beaten him up. So yeah, that's why I have trouble trusting people." I explained and I saw Seb's jaw clench before he blew out smoke from between his lips.

"Did you go to the police?"

"I didn't because I know how those type of cases turn out, the girl was asking for it because of what she was wearing, boys will be boys and all that crap." I spoke and I didn't feel as ashamed telling Seb what happened as I did with Lip and Ian.

"Also I couldn't let my grandma find it, she'd want to uproot us and move again." I added accidentally brushing my leg off of his Seb's.

"So you're still going to school everyday and seeing him and you just deal with it?" Seb wondered and I didn't expect him to be that interested in this, it was probably to distract me from asking him more stuff.

"I'm coping not exactly dealing with it, that's how I met Mia when I skipped class and hid out in the bathroom." I recalled looking down at my shoes.