f o r t y o n e

It was almost six o'clock and Fiona still hadn't turned up for her shift at the bakery, she was usually always on time. I wasn't going to tell grandma or anything because I knew how much she needed this job.

Customers were filing in more and more, I was juggling between cleaning tables, taking orders and managing the register.

I was on my way back to the kitchen with a tray of dirty dishes, I left them on the counter not having time to even start cleaning them because there was nobody out front. The bell chimed above the door as I bent down under the counter to pick out two pastries for a couple who sat next to the window. I stood up and was met with Lip taking his jacket off as he stepped behind the counter.

"Lip, what are you doing? You can't come back here, where's Fiona she should've been here twenty minutes ago." I stated while placing the two pastries on plates and filling a tea pot with hot water.

"She uh, she can't make it. She's leaving with Steve." Lip replied in a low tone.

"Leaving? Shit what am I going to do here? I'll have to call grandma to send someone else in."

"There's no need, that's why I'm here." Lip clarified and I let out a dry laugh.

"You can't just come in and start working here, do you even know how to use a coffee machine?" I asked as I turned off the hot water.

"Come on, you're really going to make me leave? You look like you could use the help besides I'm a fast learner." Lip pointed out with a small smirk, I rolled my eyes but knew that having him here would be a great help.

"Fine, put this on and start taking orders." I agreed handing him an apron with notepad and pen.

"Aye aye boss." Lip mocked before heading over to a customer who was waiting to order.

A few hours later, the last customers left and I pulled the blinds down over the windows.

"Beth, I'm going to head home now. You'll be okay locking up?" Hank asked while pulling his gloves on over his hands.

"Yeah I'll be fine, see you later." I returned opening the door for him to go.

"I should probably get going too, I gotta back to deal with everything now that Fiona is gone..." Lip trailed off leaving the apron folded on the counter.

"You know what Lip? Nobody ever went blind by looking on the bright side, you should try it." I shouted as Lip walked away from me, a cigarette clutched between his fingers.

"Well it sure looks like shit on the south side." Lip called over his shoulder barely taking a second to glance at me before he raised the cigarette to his lips once again.

I watched him leave without another word, I sighed and went into the back to lock the back door, I still had a pile of dishes to clean so it'd be awhile until I got home. Maybe if I took one of the pills that Seb gave me then I'd get it done faster, I pulled the little packet out of the pocket of my uniform. I was about to open the packet when I heard Lip's voice again.

"Hey I forgot my- what the fuck are those?" Lip declared, he stormed towards me grasping my wrist.

"It's nothing, just a vitamin." I excused lamely, I knew Lip had caught me.

"Vitamins my ass, I knew there was something up with you at school the other day. What the hell are you thinking? Ecstasy is dangerous." Lip spat taking the packet out of my hand.

"Give them back, it's none of your business. Why do you even care?" I questioned but he pulled the packet out of my reach.

"Because I fucking like you okay." Lip shot back getting up in my face, my back hit the door.