o n e

I pressed down on the last cardboard box with my foot to flatten it out, I placed it with the others that would be headed for the trash

"Now that we're finished unpacking, I'll head to the store for some milk. Do you want anything Bethany?" Grandma asked as she picked up her brown leather bag.

"I can go to the store for you, you should rest. It's been a long day of travelling, you can write me a list?" I offered because I didn't want her getting mugged, but also I was dying to explore this place.

It didn't take a genius to notice the obvious differences once you entered the south side of Chicago compared to the north side.

"Okay dear, there's a store not too far away, just a few blocks. Here's a list of what I need and get something for you and Grace too." Grandma urges handing me a piece of paper from the notebook she kept in her purse.

My grandma had lived in south Chicago after she married my grandpa just short of fifty years ago. She had moved up to Washington a few months back to look after me and Grace after the accident, but a fresh start seemed like the best option so we moved back to Chicago with our grandma. She owned a small bakery on the south side, but she wasn't as involved as she had been previously.

"I won't be long." I called over my shoulder as I wrapped a scarf around my neck and shrugged my coat over my shoulders.

It was freezing outside, the remnants of snow dotted the lawns of each front yard. I opened the gate, the squeal it erupted almost made me cringe. I wedged my hands as deep into my pockets as I could to try and conserve some heat, I buried my face in the wooly material of my scarf. I walked carefully along the sidewalk with the fear of slipping going through my head.

It seemed as the more of the south side I discovered, the more run down I had realised it truly was. There were random shopping carts in dark alleyways, only some of the streetlights actually provided some light.

I turned the corner spotting the store I assumed grandma had been talking about, I didn't miss the few homeless people lying in doorways along the street. I crossed after a car passed by lightly jogging towards the store, I spotted the open sign on the door and pulled it open. It was like any other convenience store, a tall man who I presumed to be the owner of the store smiled as the bell chimed above my head.

I shot back a quick smile before heading towards the refrigerator for milk, I almost ran into a red headed boy who was stacking shelves when I rounded the corner.

"Sorry." I apologised stepping around him.

"It's okay, no harm done." He simply responded as he continued to stack the shelf.

I picked up a carton of milk and pulled the crumpled list out of my pocket.

Milk.
Butter.
Eggs.
Bread.