t h i r t y t h r e e

I walked into the kitchen to see Grace doing her homework at the table, it was unusual for her to be around in the evenings she was normally with Debbie.

"Hey, how come you aren't hanging out with Debs today?" I asked opening the fridge and pulling out the apple juice.

"She's at Sheila's today, you know Karen's mom. She's teaching Debbie how to make a cake." Grace told me as she closed her book over.

"You didn't go with her?"

"Grandma wasn't here so I didn't want to go without asking her first, it doesn't matter anyway because I've baked with grandma loads of times." Grace replied putting her things back into her bag.

"Come on, we can watch tv while we wait for grandma to get home." I urged brining my glass of apple juice with me.

"Is grandma ignoring you? She's never home when you are unless you're in bed and you're never here when she is." Grace pointed out just as I switched the tv on.

"Of course she's not, you know how busy she is with the bakery and then she goes to the homeless shelters with some of the leftover food." I lied and thankfully Grace seemed to buy it this time.

"Yeah you're right."

Around two hours and passed and it was after nine o'clock, we heard the front door open and Grace jumped slightly. Grandma appeared in the doorway of the living room, she took her bag off and left it by the door.

"Hey girls, you need to be getting to bed soon for school." Grandma greeted solely keeping her eyes on Grace.

"Yeah I'm going to go now, I'm really tired." Grace yawned and stood up from the couch leaving me and Grandma alone.

"When are you going to stop this?" I questioned with a sigh.

"I don't what you're talking about Bethany." Grandma simply responded picking up the remote control to turn the tv down.

"Oh really? Then explain to me why I've had Grace asking why we're ignoring each other?"

"Look Bethany, you could've been in serious trouble. Your whole future could have been thrown away over a silly fight at a party, you're a smart girl. I don't want to see that go to waste." Grandma stated and I held back the urge to roll my eyes.

"I know, I promised I wouldn't get in anymore trouble and I haven't. We can't ignore each other when we live in the same house." I clarified and she nodded her head.

"Yes I know, I'm sorry Bethany. Go on and get some rest you'll need to be up early in the morning." Grandma apologised but I noticed how tired she looked too.

"Is everything okay with you?" I wondered hesitating in the doorway.

"I'm fine darling, don't go worrying about me. Tina called in sick so we were short staffed." Grandma answered and I immediately felt bad for her.

"You should've called me, I would've come in or now that I think of it. Fiona has been looking for work maybe you could give her a few shifts here and there, she can even take some of mine if you can't fit her in elsewhere." I suggested and grandma raised her eyebrows.

"I never thought of poor Fiona, I hope this isn't your way of trying to get out of work." Grandma accused although her face was amused.

"I swear I'm not, I just know that the Gallagher's have been under a little more pressure when it comes to money lately." I replied and Grandma frowned.

"I'll have a talk with Fiona tomorrow and see if she'd be interested, now go get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning."

"Yeah, goodnight." I quipped, I watched as grandma headed into her room and closed the door behind her.