An Unexpected Turn

Chapter 8: An Unexpected Turn

Snotlout did not tell Ingrid about Astrid's little plan even as they flew out to find Eret. He figured she did not need to know the details of something so inconsequential. If Astrid knew what was good for her, no one would even know she was there. He was relieved when they were not met with sprung traps when they approached Eret's boat.

"Back again, eh?" said Eret. He still watched them warily, but he was not as guarded as before. Progress.

"We'll keep coming until we reach an agreement," Ingrid said. "We still have more to discuss."

"Fine. If you want to talk, let's talk here. No more scaring my crew."

Snotlout looked over the other trappers. As far as he could tell, they were not inclined to attack. "Just make sure they keep their distance."

Eret nodded. "Fair enough."

So, they began talking about dragons and their lives in the archipelago. Snotlout did not understand what they were supposed to get out of this, but he trusted Ingrid knew what she was doing. She certainly seemed pleased with herself. He liked to see her smile like that. He wondered if-

"Eret, there's movement in those trees!" a dragon trapper suddenly shouted.

Eret spun on his feet to peer at a nearby island. Sure enough, the trees moved much too forcefully for it to be natural. "Dragons! Get ready, mates."

"Wait, no!" Ingrid said in alarm.

Eret looked at her almost regretfully. "Sorry, this is what we do."

"Then you won't mind if we do what we do," Snotlout said, eyes narrowing.

Ingrid sighed dejectedly. "I supposed we have no choice."

The dragon trappers began to shoot into the trees. Dragons did indeed emerge, and they carried with them their riders: Astrid, Fishlegs, Ruffnut, and Tuffnut. They dodged the shots from the trappers and quickly surrounded the ship.

"You!" Eret growled. He glared at Ingrid and Snotlout. "What are your friends doing here?"

"I don't know, ask them," Ingrid said.

"It was just supposed to be Astrid!" Snotlout said defensively.

Ingrid's eyes widened. "You knew about this?"

"Because he planned it," Eret said darkly. He turned to the trappers. "Men, attack!" Then he glared at Snotlout once more. "You set me up."

"I did no such thing!" Snotlout said. He watched worriedly as his friends stated to shoot at the trappers. "Stop attacking!"

"We don't have much of a choice, Snotlout!" Astrid said.

"You've been against me from the start," Eret went on. "You've always wanted to destroy us."

"That's not true!" Ingrid said with desperation in her voice. "Eret, you have to believe us. I didn't even know the others would be here." She shot Snotlout an accusing look, and he winced.

Eret appeared hesitant as he looked at Ingrid. "I don't know whether to believe you, but I can't trust you because of those you're associated with."

Anger flashed through Snotlout. "Enough of this!" He flew up high and had Hookfang blast fire in a circle above the ship, momentarily stunning everyone. "We have to get out of there now!" The dragon riders took the opportunity to dart away from the ship. Luckily, the dragon trappers did not pursue them. Snotlout let out a breath of relief. "That was close."