Fading Fast

Chapter 14: Fading Fast

Valka cooked dinner for everyone at the sanctuary. Eira had never seen her so hospitable. She wondered if this was a result of Stoick's presence. Come to think of it, the chief was acting a lot gentler than usual as well. Had love been the answer all along? She listened carefully as Stoick began to whistle an unfamiliar tune. Valka paused in the middle of filling a gourd with water that dripped through the cave ceiling.

"Oh, I love this one!" Gobber said excitedly.

"Remember our song, Val?" Stoick said slowly moving towards Valka. "I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life, if you will marry me." He gently took the gourd from her hands and set it down. "No scorching sun, nor freezing cold will stop-"

"Will stop me on my journey!" Gobber sang off key, earning glares from Stoick and Hiccup. "Sorry."

Stoick turned back to Valka and took her hand in his, bringing it to his heart. "If you will promise me your heart... And love..." He lowered his head sadly when his woman neither looked at him or said anything.

"And love me for eternity," Valka sang at last. "My dearest one, my darling dear, your mighty words astound me. But I've no need of mighty deeds, when I feel your arms around me." The song grew upbeat, and the couple started to dance together.

"But I would bring you rings of gold I'd even sing you poetryAnd I would keep you from all harm If you would stay here beside me."

"I have no use for rings of gold. I care not for your poetry. I only want your hand to hold."

"I only want you near me!"

Gobber danced around as well. He even brought Hiccup to his feet, inviting him to join in.

"To love to kiss, to sweetly hold," Stoick and Valka sang together. "For the dancing and the dreaming. Through all life's sorrows and delights, I'll keep your love inside me. I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life if you will marry me!" The couple stopped with their hands clasped together, gazing into each other's eyes lovingly before embracing.

"Me-eee-e!" sang Gobber. "I'm still goin'..." Hiccup elbowed him. "I'm done."

"Ah... I thought I'd have to die before we'd have that dance again," Stoick said.

Valka brushed a strand of hair away from her face. "No need for drastic measures."

"For you, my dear... anything. Will you come home, Val? Will you be my wife once again? We can a be a family! What do you say?" Stoick smiled at Hiccup and then Valka while everyone else waited in anticipation for her answer.

Valka's smile slowly faded. "Oh, Stoick... I - I can't. This is so sudden, and I have plans - a life!"

Stoick lightly touched her cheek. "We can create new plans together. If you want to rescue dragons, we'll rescue them together. Whatever you need, I'll provide it for you. Let me show you I've changed."

Valka gazed at him sadly. "I'm sorry. I'm not ready to leave this life behind. I don't know if it's possible to combine our lives... but if it is, it will take time to figure out."

Stoick nodded solemnly. "Then I will wait for you as long as it takes."

"Does this mean we're free to leave?" Hiccup ventured.

"You've been keeping them here unwillingly?" Stoick said in surprise.

Valka gave him a guilty look. "I thought it would protect the dragons, but now I see I was wrong." She nodded at Hiccup. "You're all free to return home."