Cut Off

Chapter 22: Cut Off

"Hiccup, we're completely cut off," Astrid said gravely. The dragon riders had gathered in the Great Hall, where they reported their findings to the chief.

"Yeah, we found one of the traders, but he refuses to trade with us," said Snotlout. "Something about 'not being good for business.' Whatever that means."

"I investigated one of the nearby villages, and they were terrified of Meatlug and me," Fishlegs said.

Hiccup frowned. "This doesn't make any sense. We haven't done anything to scare the archipelago."

"I don't know, we can be pretty scary," Tuffnut said, glancing at his sister. "At least when we're with Barf & Blech."

"He has a point," Ingrid said. "We have been going on a lot of raids lately. What if the other villages don't understand our purpose and think we're just terrorizing innocent sailors?"

"Then we need to set the record straight," said Hiccup. "I want all of you to go back out their and explain to the villages that we're peaceful as long as they don't attack dragons. See if you can get any of them to agree to trade with us."

"We need to be careful in case this is part of some elaborate trap," said Astrid.

Hiccup held in a sigh. "Let's just hope it's not."

***

It started off as a normal day for Eira and her small group, and it was supposed to be the last one of the trip. By then, both dragons and Vikings were tired and eager to arrive at Berserker Island. Early in the afternoon, they reached a small patch of ocean in between two nearby islands. They never had problems with either island in the past, but when they approached this time, they were met with a string of arrows.

"Whoa!" Dagur exclaimed. "Where'd that come from?"

"Perhaps they think we're enemies," Oliver suggested.

Dagur glared at the village on the left when an arrow whizzed past Sleuther. "Let's go show them not to mess with us!"

"And give them a real reason to attack us?" said Viggo. "No, we'll go around."

Eira and the others agreed, so they backed up a bit to give the islands space before flying to the right... where they soon came across more hostile villagers. "Something does not seem right about this," Krogan said. "They're ready for us."

"Do you think someone paid them to attack us?" Eira asked.

"It's possible," said Viggo. "Let's keep going. We need to find open water."

They continued to the right until they were out of sight of any islands. When they tried to change course, however, they were met by dragon trapper ships and were assaulted with weapons and traps.

"That's it!" Dagur growled. "Can I fight them now?"

"I don't think it's a good idea to force ourselves through," Eira said. "Not until we know what's going on. What if we have to fight all the way to Berserker Island? Let's try going around once more."

Dagur grumbled but agreed to this idea. The dragon riders continued their flights, coming across several more villages and ships that attacked them. At their last stop, the ships seemed to contain normal sailors instead of dragon trappers, but they flew a familiar flag.

"Everyone, retreat for now!" Krogan said, leading the way back so they were out of reach of the attacking Vikings. "They're with the Northern Alliance. They're probably the ones behind this."

"We haven't heard from them in months," Eira said. "Who's leading them?"

"Maybe Drago's back?" Dagur suggested.