Pressure Mounting

Chapter 50: Pressure Mounting

"Hello there again," Hiccup said to the titan wing Night Fury as he approached with Reidun. The large dragon appeared relaxed at their presence. He stood in his clearing, watching them with a calm eye.

"He knows we are not a threat," Reidun noted. "This is good. Where do we go from here?"

"Since you already have a relationship, it is better for him and the village to become allies instead of ignoring each other. They villagers may not be ready to meet him yet, but we can lay the groundwork for that." The other dragon riders were currently searching for suitable wild dragons to help train the villagers. Hiccup hoped they could move onto the next step the following day. "Why don't you try giving him a name? Eira told me that helped her get closer to a wild dragon she's trying to befriend on Berk."

Reidun nodded. "Very well." She approached the dragon, who regarded her with interest. "What say you, Night Fury? Would you like a name?" The dragon tilted his head to the side slightly but otherwise gave no response. "I should have something proper to call you in any case." She paused. "Vidar. Your name is Vidar: 'fighter in the woods.'" The Night Fury grunted in appreciation. Reidun raised her hand and placed it on his snout. "I hope we can be friends, Vidar."

Hiccup smiled. He loved witnessing the beautiful start of a relationship between a Viking and dragon. "Maybe Vidar can help you protect the village instead of destroy it."

"That would be a nice change." She stepped back, her eyes still on the dragon. "You don't like the Northern Alliance very much, do you?" Vidar instantly growled at the name. "Do not worry. We are the same in that. And if you help us, we will make sure your cave remains safe."

"I am sure you two will make a great team." Before he could say anything more, a Terrible Terror fluttered down from the sky and thrust his leg in Hiccup's face. "Whoa, okay!" He took the letter, and the dragon scampered off. He quickly scanned the note, and his expression hardened. "This isn't good."

"What is it?"

"Grimmel is attacking one of our allies." He stuffed the note into his bag. "We have to go."

Reidun nodded. "Of course." She glanced at Vidar. "We will see you later." Then she followed Hiccup down the hill.

The Vikings found the villagers training in the normal area. Swiftwings lay at the edge, watching the commotions, and she looked up when she newcomers approached. "Guys, we need to go!" Hiccup said to the dragon riders. "Grimmel is attacking Defenders of the Wing Island!"

"Oh no!" Dagur exclaimed. "Sleuther, come on!" He hopped on his dragon without another word.

"We'll resume your training later," Eret said to the bewildered villagers. "This is an emergency."

"If there's anything I can do to help-" Reidun started.

"You need to stay here in case the village is attacked," Krogan said. He then gave a sharp look to Oliver, who made to join the small group. "You too, kid."

Oliver frowned. "Aww..."

"We'll be back as soon as the threat is taken care of," Hiccup said. Hopefully, Astrid and the others would put up a good front and his own team would only be needed as backup. He had to trust in the chosen warriors.

"Good luck!" Reidun called after the dragons and riders as they took to the sky.

"Hiccup!" Eret suddenly shouted, pointing to the titan wing Night Fury flying towards the village.

Hiccup groaned. "He must have followed us here." Vidar landed near the Vikings, who looked at him with fear even though he made no threatening move. The chief hesitated, unsure if he should stay behind to help.