Hostile Welcome

Chapter 38: Hostile Welcome

"That was incredible," Reidun said to the dragon riders. "You worked extremely well with your dragons. I did not know such teamwork was possible."

"Vikings and dragons can do greater things when they are together," Eira said. "We can both reach our full potential."

"And the fact that they risked harm to come to your defense in the first place..."

"They are our friends," Krogan said. "Of course they came to help us."

Reidun gazed at him with a mixture of emotions on her face. "Yes, I suppose that is true." She looked around at the damage done to the village. Then she glanced at her villagers, who were still filled with awe and wonder. At last, she returned her attention to the dragon riders. "And who am I to separate friends? You are free to leave."

The riders exchanged surprised glances. "You mean, we can go home?" Dagur said.

Reidun nodded. "Yes. Return home to your own people and assist them in their fight against the Northern Alliance. I am sorry to have kept you for so long."

"What about you?" Krogan said. "If you let us go, won't you be a target?"

"Let me worry about that. It is not your problem. You have taught us a lot, and it is about time we defend ourselves and our way of life. I know we will make it."

Krogan did not appear convinced. He looked to Eira. "We can't leave them alone."

Eira recognized the anxiety in his eyes and understood his position. "And we won't. If we want to be allies, we need to remain connected. I have an important job for you, Krogan. Will you stay here to help Reidun and provide us with regular updates? We need to learn how to work together." She knew he wanted to stay but would not suggest it himself. Hopefully, this solution would put him at ease.

Krogan's eyes flashed with surprise. Then he dipped his head. "Yes, I will do that." He glanced at Reidun. "If that is alright with you."

"I am happy to let you stay," Reidun said, smiling slightly.

"Oliver, you should stay too," Eira said.

Oliver gave her a look of protest. "But I want to see Berserker Island and Berk!"

Eira shook her head. "It's too dangerous right now. You're be safer here." She leaned in closer to her brother and lowered her voice. "And I need you to watch over Krogan."

Oliver's eyes filled with understanding. "Oh, okay. If you insist." He smirked at Krogan. "Looks like you're stuck with me."

"Now that that's settled," said Reidun, "the rest of you should be off."

"We could wait for morning if you want," Dagur said. "You could use help repairing the damage."

"It is safest if you leave now. The Northern Alliance stays clear of us during a dragon attack, and with some luck, they will be far away and give us both a chance to remain in the clear."

"Good idea," Viggo said. "We should collect our belongings and be off. Thank you for your hospitality."

"We will send more help as soon as we can," Dagur said.

Reidun nodded. "Thank you."

"Oh!" Eira said, suddenly thinking of something. "Give me a minute!" She immediately ran to the forest.

"Where are you going?" Dagur called after her.

"To find a Terrible Terror! I have to update Haldor!"