Brewing Storm

Chapter 57: Brewing Storm

Eira slept fitfully that night. Everything had changed so quickly, and she found it difficult to relax. Eventually, she drifted off but awoke all too soon. Drago was already up. As chief, Dagur decided to was his responsibility to let Drago stay with them in their extra bedroom. No one said much as the three of them quickly ate something and then headed outside.

Luna immediately appeared before Eira, seeming anxious. "It's okay, girl," she said, running her hand along the Light Fury's neck. "We're going to work out a plan today. Let's go meet the others at the stable." The dragon followed behind the humans on their trek to the hilltop stable where Krogan, Viggo, and Runa were waiting for them.

"Tyra is with Heather," Runa explained when prompted by Dagur. "She decided to stay behind to look after Berserker Island. I am here because I thought Krogan could use a dragon." She slipped into the stables and coaxed out Firelight, her Silver Phantom. The dragon cautiously bent her head towards Krogan but let out a pleased sound when he placed a hand on her snout.

"Yes, I think we can be friends," Krogan said with a smile.

Eira smiled at them. "Great."

"Hey, I need a dragon too," Drago said.

The Vikings exchanged glances. "Oh, I know which dragon will let you ride him!" Dagur said before dashing off with Sleuther. A few minutes later, he returned with his former partner, Shattermaster.

Drago looked at the green Gronckle with uncertainty. "Are you sure that's a real dragon?"

Dagur gave him an indignant look. "Of course Shattermaster is a real dragon. He's one of the best dragons you could ever find!"

"Then why don't you ride him?"

"Shattermaster works well with others. He can handle you." At Dagur's prompting, the Gronckle bounded over to Drago and nearly knocked him over.

Dragon awkwardly pat the dragon on the head. "Fine."

"We should get going," Viggo said.

"Hold on," Runa said. She was looking to the sky, where two dragons flew in close. Several moments later, Cloudjumper and Skullcrusher landed with Valka and Eret.

"What are you doing here?" Eira said, not daring to hope.

"I said I would help out around here, didn't I?" Valka said, jumping to the ground.

"Yeah. but I thought-"

"Astrid has chosen the path she believes is best for Berk. I, however, have always considered what is right in general, and I still believe in our ideas."

A warm smile spread across Eira's face. "Thank you."

"Fine, you can stay," Drago grunted.

"And I can keep an eye on him," Valka said, her eyes narrowing.

"What about you?" said Krogan to Eret.

"Well, I can't exactly endorse Astrid's no new alliances policy when I was the beneficiary of such trust, can I?" said Eret.

"Are you sure you can handle it?" Drago said.

Eret's eyes widened. He moved a bit closer to his dragon, placing a hand on his back. "Of course I can. "Of course I can. Besides, I owe a lot to Ingrid and Snotlout in particular. They did not return to Berk yesterday, so I assume they're siding with you."

"There's on Torleif Island," Eira said. "We're headed there now."

"Excellent! I shall join you."