Obstacles

Chapter 23: Obstacles

The bright sunshine woke Eira and the others, and they quickly got ready for the day. The dragons seemed eager to get out there and fly, but the Vikings needed to go over their plan one more time. "Is everything clear?" Eira said, looking around at each person. "If we're stopped, we need to agree with peaceful terms, even if that means being temporarily separated from our dragons."

"I do not like it," Viggo said. "Even if we find an otherwise well-meaning village, we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage."

"Can you think of a better plan?"

Viggo's eyes briefly flickered to Krogan. "Not without risking casualties, which we've already ruled out."

"We can do it!" Dagur said. "We just have to find the most friendly-looking people."

Eira nodded. "Let's split up and look for an island that seems most likely to let us pass." She glanced at Oliver. "You're coming with me."

"Fine," Oliver grumbled.

Before anyone could even move to their dragons, a Terrible Terror swooped down and landed on Eira's shoulder. "How come they never smack you in the face?" Dagur complained.

Eira ignored him and opened the letter attached to the Terror. "It's from Hiccup! He says their normal traders are refusing to trade with them, and the other villages are acting hostile. Eret says the Northern Alliance is behind and patrolling the waters."

"Which we already knew," said Krogan. "This is bad. Clearly, this is a large scale operation."

"We need to get back to them now!" Dagur said.

"First, I want to write a letter to Haldor and explain the situation so he's aware," Eira said. "If the worst happens, we can try to find a Terrible Terror to write to Hiccup."

Dagur nodded. "Good idea. Maybe he can send help."

"It would take two weeks at minimum for any help to arrive," said Viggo. "By then this may be over... or too late."

"We won't think about that," Eira said as she pulled out paper and a quill. "The rest of you can get started. I'll be out there as soon as I finish this." Dagur, Viggo, and Krogan mounted their dragons and took off while Eira quickly scribbled a letter to her older brother. Soon, the Terrible Terror was on his way with the letter, and Eira and Oliver set off as well.

Eira spent a good amount of time scouring the waters for friendly activity. The dragon trappers and soldiers were still in their boats, and she and Oliver made sure to avoid them. The villages she came across did not appear too promising either. Eventually, she returned to the uninhabited island, where her friends were already waiting for her.

"I found an island that may be our best bet," Krogan said, "unless you have something better."

Eira shook her head. "No. Go ahead and lead the way."

Ruby took off towards the east, and the other dragons followed. Soon, Eira spotted what must have been their destination: a small island with a tiny village and few ships in the port. There were no dragon trappers or soldiers from the Northern Alliance as far as she could tell. "We need to quietly fly through their forest on the right side of the island," Krogan said in a low voice. "With some luck, no one may even notice us."

Oliver looked at Ruby, likely taking in her massive size. "That seems doubtful."

"We're just passing through," Dagur said. "There's no harm in that."

Eira had a bad feeling about this, but there was no way around it. The riders followed Krogan to an area of the island devoid of people. Fortunately, they were able to slip into the forest without being noticed. Eira started to think they would make it when, suddenly, Vikings dropped out of the trees, barring weapons.