Changes of Heart

Chapter 36: Changes of Heart

"Any sign of them?" Hiccup said to the incoming dragon riders.

"Sorry, Hiccup," Fishlegs said with a shake of his head. He and the others landed in front of the chief in the center of the village. Meatlug whined sadly.

"They've vanished!" Tuffnut said, hopping off his dragon.

"Maybe they were eaten," Ruffnut suggested.

"Or kidnapped."

"Or-"

"Or maybe they're in a situation similar to the one Hiccup and Eira were in when we were dealing with Drago," Astrid said after shooting the twins a look.

"Or the situation Eira is in right now," Fishlegs added.

"There are too many possibilities," Hiccup said grimly.

"If it were just Snotlout, I'd be worried," Astrid said, "but Ingrid will ensure they survive."

Hiccup shook his head. "I still don't like it." He glanced at Toothless. "Maybe I should look for them myself."

Astrid exchanged looks with the riders. "There's no need! We can do it ourselves."

"We'll go back out right now," Fishlegs said.

Astrid nodded. "You should stay here where you're safe because you're-"

"-the chief, I know," Hiccup finished. He turned away, sighing. "Sometimes I wish I wasn't." He spoke so softly he did not know if anyone but Toothless heard him. The Night Fury pushed his head into his hand while giving him a sympathetic look.

"What do you want us to do?" Fishlegs said anxiously.

"Whatever you think is best." Hiccup waved them off and started walking with Toothless. He needed some time alone with his friend to think things over. They exited the village and entered the forest. When Hiccup figured he was far enough away, he sat on a log and placed his face in his hands. Toothless stood in front of him, looking at him in concern.

"I do not know what I am supposed to do anymore," the young Viking said. "I have too much I need to do and can't do what I want to do. You're a leader, Toothless. How do you do it?"

The dragon tilted his head to the side, appearing to be in concentration. Then he looked off to the side in concern before glancing back at Hiccup. He pawed the ground while letting out a sad noise.

"You have things you worry about too, huh?" Hiccup paused. "Is it the Light Fury?" Toothless' ears flattened. "You're getting along, right?" The dragon perked up at this. Hiccup smiled slightly. "That's good. At least you're making some progress. Do you think she is ready to meet anyone else?"

Toothless' expression darkened, and he growled. Hiccup frowned. "No good, huh? Maybe it will help if I met her." Toothless leapt forward until he was right in the Vikings' face. "Whoa, easy! I don't want to do anything reckless. Don't you think I should try again? If she likes you now, she should at least respect you enough to not kill me." He chuckled weakly, but Toothless did not look amused. "Come on, I'm still alive. I know you can protect me."

Toothless still did not seem happy, but he grunted and started forward. Smiling slightly, Hiccup followed. "Thanks, bud. If she has enough sense to like you, I'm sure we can work everything out!" The Night Fury did not respond.

They traversed through the forest as silently as possible. After some time, Toothless stopped abruptly and gave Hiccup a sharp look. The Viking nodded. Toothless relaxed slightly and strode forward. Hiccup stayed back while he watched his friend approach the Light Fury, who stood in a clearing. They seemed to converse for a few minutes, and then Toothless looked back in Hiccup's direction.