Conversations

Chapter 25: Conversations

After the long, tiring day, Hiccup entered his house to find his mother cooking dinner. Toothless immediately perked up and bounded to her side to investigate. Hiccup, however, did not feel hungry and told her as much when she asked.

"You should try to eat something," Valka advised. "You need to keep up your strength."

Hiccup hesitated. She did have a point. "Maybe I'll have a bite, but what I really need is some rest."

Valka held a plate of fish above Toothless' head and handed it to Hiccup. "And you deserve it. You did have a tough day."

"It was exhausting. I was so busy trying to keep everyone from running off in a panic that I hardly had time to get anything done. I don't know how Dad did it all those years."

"It's something that comes with experience." Valka tossed Toothless a fish before grabbing her own plate and joining her son at the table. "But you do need to make sure you're not overextending yourself. You can only do so much, and you need to focus on what's important."

Hiccup poked at his food. "And what's that? Saving dragons? Protecting Berk? I could accomplish both if I could convince the other islands we mean them no harm."

"Not everyone is willing to change. Even if there are good people out there, they will protect themselves from what they perceive to be threats, and you should do the same. A chief-"

"-protects his own, I know." Hiccup frowned. "But if everyone's so busy protecting themselves, nothing will ever change."

"Change will attract more people like Grimmel. You must consider all of the consequences of your actions."

Hiccup closed his eyes while he reflected on the problem. "You're right, I have neglected to think about the bigger impact. But that is going to change." When he opened his eyes again, they were filled with determination. "I will figure out how to deal with Grimmel and others like him without sacrificing my principles. I'll prove that he's wrong. Building a better world may require more sacrifices than I thought, but it will all be worth it in the end."

Valka nodded. "You are the chief. You must do what you think it best. I will support you, whatever that is."

Hiccup smiled. "Thanks, Mom." Feeling slightly better, he took a bite of fish. It was not bad!

***

Eira slept unpleasantly that night. She was in an unfamiliar environment, and her younger brother snored. She tried to put all of that behind her as she started her day the following morning. She talked briefly with her friends about their goal for the day, and then they headed outside, where they were greeted by Chief Reidun and several guards. Eira asked the chief to speak privately with her for a minute, to which she agreed.

"Did you rest well?" Reidun said while they walked along the edge of the village near the trees.

"I managed," Eira replied. "Thank you for your hospitality. I know this is an unusual situation. Are you sure your, er, allies are okay with all this?"

Reidun gave her a calculated look. "They would not approve if they knew, and they have no reason to find out. Do not think we are beholden to them. We are using them as much as they are using us. I am doing what is best for the village."

Eira dipped her head. "Of course."

"With that in mind, I am willing to work with you and your friends if it will benefit us. First, I need to know who I am dealing with. You said the men who are with you used to be your enemies. Can you explain?" Reidun stopped walking and turned to face the younger girl, looking at her expectantly.